2" dial thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High_Noonan

Reaction score
Hi all.

Third AG batch is in the books. Now that I have the technique under control, I am starting to look at tweaking my setup.
Currently, I am using a three tier, non-sculpture, gravity-feed system.
Gravity-feed until it hits the BK ball valve, that is.
I have a Chugger pump and a DudaDiesel 30 plate chiller running from that point to the carboy.

Right now I have a 3" dial thermometer in a tee on the output side of the plate chiller and, well, that huge dial looks kind of goofy. I'd seriously like to reduce the dial size, but I am having a hard time coming up with a source for a 2" dial, 2.5" probe, bimetal thermometer.

Any ideas?

First place I looked!
The only 2.5" probes he has are on 3" dials.
I think that the one I am trying to replace came from there, actually.

Yeah, 2" faces with 4" probes.
That isn't going to fit into a plate chiller!

Can you cut these probes? I don't know.

No cutting of the probe, that would just brick it. Miljoco makes what you want, the hard part would be finding someone who'd sell it to you.

http://www.miljoco.com/Products/PDF/2DialThermometers.pdf

See page 5, come up with the specs you want, use that to "calculate" the part number, and google it to see if anyone sells it. Their website also has a sales email/phone, they might even sell a single unit. [email protected], 888-888-1498. If they do sell single/custom units please let us/me know. That would be good info to have for the future.

Well, you don't have to have the thermo probe facing down into the plate chiller port either. You can put the drop side of the tee on the port and thread the thermo in to one side of the tee and the hose barb on the other.

Oh, and I actually have a 2" face, 2.5" probe thermo sitting on my bench if you want it. $10 shipped. Keep in mind it has 1/4" NPT threads but a reducing bushing is $2.

Miljoco is a manufacturer so they only sell wholesale.

Whoa! Thanks for the offer, Bobby.
I'm going to play around with it when I get home and I will let you know tonight.

Bobby_M, I am going to send you a PM with my CC info.
I played around with a couple of configurations and that 3" dial is just goofy looking in all of them.
I'm shocked that others have not mentioned this before.

Back