S04 krausen gone in 2 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
Made a batch on Sunday and pitched S04 directly into wort. After 16 hours of lag phase I had a heathly krausen build up. 1.5 days later the krausen was completely gone. It is the first time I am using S04 and never seen krausen disappear so fast. Is this typical behaviour?

I am still letting it sit for at least 2 weeks and of course will check gravity.

Yep, my experience with S-04 was nearly identical. Except that my lag time was really short, so short that I brewed right before going to bed, and the kraeusen had already overflowed the airlock by the time I woke up. D'oh...

S-04 was so different from my previous experience with S-05, I also wondered initially if there was something wrong. It turns out that yeast is just like that.

What was your fermenting temp? I used it a few times pre fermentation temp control and had same results. In my case I got too much fruity esters due to 75F temps.

Wort was around 75F when I added it to my cooler (60F) and I pitched the yeast. Within 30 mins the temp dropped closer to cooler temp. I let it sit there overnight. When I went to work on Monday morning I took it out of the cooler and when I came home it was 69F (thermometer probe attached to fermentor). This is when the lag phase finished and I saw rapid replication of the yeasties. While it was still in the temp range I decided to put it back in the cooler and kept it around 62F. With the liquid in the cooler being 62F I am sure in the fermenter it might be +2F and make it at the bottom recommended range of the temperature for this yeast.

No fruity esthers for me :)

This yeast is quicker than WY3711

I just did a Blue Moon clone using S04 and it did the exact same thing. I direct pitched it into the wort at approx 70 degrees. Aggressive fermentation for 1.5 days then the krausen fell. I'm hoping this is normal for S04.

Latest posts

Back