How badly did I screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpp37

Reaction score
I am a NooB to wine making and followed the directions exactly and then I had a brain fart.

My wine was ready to be bottled and I was going to move it back from the carboy to the primary fermenter for easier bottling.
The wine was clear and I decided to make it a little sweeter by adding a product that is basically a sugar syrup with stablilzer (to prevent further fermentation).
I then stirred the wine in the carboy to mix in the syrup and proceeded to move it into the primary fermenter.
Needless to say, the wine is not clear anymore.
Did I screw up the whole batch or do I need to just wait a week or so to let it settle again?
Will it ever clear up again?
Do I need to move it back into the carboy?

My primary is plastic.
I guess I'll leave it in there for a week or so and see what happens.

Thanks for the response.

rpp37 said:
My primary is plastic.
I guess I'll leave it in there for a week or so and see what happens.

Thanks for the response.

Generally, I would probably leave it also, but at the same time I think I would like to see the progress.

I would probably think about it a couple of times then rack back into glass. But that's me. :D

If you do, be sure everything is sanitized to reduce the risk of infection.

I haven't been able to see the progress in the carboy either.
I had to draw samples using a wine thief. Maybe it's because it is a dark wine (black raspberry kit from Island Mist).
I have a spigot on the primary and wanted to fill the bottles that way.
It also makes it easier to draw samples.
This is my first attempt to making wine and I already screwed it up :(
Oh well... hopefully everything is going to be fine by next weekend.

I have another question if you don't mind...
I am using Amberdyne solution to clean everything and am unsure if I should rinse afterwards. I am afraid it will alter the taste, but I am also afraid to introduce bacteria and such back during rinsing.
Naturally there are no instructions on the bottle other than 1/2 tsp per gallon water.

Sounds like a no rinse solution to me.

Here's what I found on the net:

Amber Dyne Iodophor Sanitizer
Iodophor is a federally approved contact sanitizer that is used widely by the food service/production industry and is most commonly available to home brewers in 4 oz. and 1 liter bottles. Our iodophor is full strength (not dilluted) Use only 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Needs only 60 seconds of contact.
DOES NOT HARM STAINLESS STEEL!
Satisfies health codes: sanitized items do not require potable water after rinse.
Odorless and tasteless when solutions are made to correct strength.
Easy on hands. Contains no harsh, irritating alkalis.
Contains built-in rinse aid. Sanitized items are practically spot & streak free.
Save money - about 20% more active than similar sanitizers.
Portion controlled dispenser.

Rpp37, I use to be a wine maker before I found Beer. HB99 is right on target. You have to be patient with wine. It generally takes a month or two to clear. I racked my wines once a month for four months. Put your secondary in a place where you will not have to move it when it comes time to rack. This
will keep you from kicking up sediment off the bottom. Don't worry, your wine will be fine.

Good luck and be patient.

Back