options for big-beer carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnyvilla

Reaction score
I made a scotch ale a few weeks ago and would like to bottle it. I'm guessing it doesn't need any priming sugar because of the large amount of unfermented sugars present. I was told I need to pitch a different strain of yeast to finish up the fermentation.

grain\extract scotch ale started on california ale yeast cake.

2 weeks primary, 70 d, OG 1.100
1 week secondary FG 1.030

Does pitching additional yeast before bottling sound right?

Thanks

What was the type of yeast that you pitched? The yeast should still be viable if they are not totally knocked out. I would rack as normal.

Define normal.

Racking sugar added, then bottle?

I'm in the same boat with a Scotch Ale 7 days into secondary. A little extra sugar won't bother me though, I like em sweet and malty.

I have a double malted brown ale I make that starts at 1.096 and finishes at 1.025 that I prime like I would my amber ales 3/4 cup corn sugar for 5 gal. I have never had bottle bombs. Knock on wood. I use 1056 yeast for fermentation.

I used 1\2 of an ale cake to ferment this beer. Sorry but I don't remember more than that is was a California ale yeast. I wouldn't think the yeast would respond to racking sugar, as its already pretty sweet. To taste at least. FG has not changed in 4-5 days.

Back