two kits now down the drain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
one more try and i might as well give up
can't understand what i am doing wrong here
followed all instructins and i USED to be able to make homebrew
10 years ago.

Disaster 1.
Geordie bitter
made as instructed
with secondary ferment
hydrometer looked close to perfect
in primed beersphere for 2 weeks

result
constantly had to regas after drawing half pint
beer is cllear and reasonable strong
but has a medicinal or tinny taste and although has frothy head
is flat tasting...bloody awful really
in the sink it went !

Disaster 2.
John bull Bitter
made as instructed
but added extra yeast after 2 weeks as
had a cold spell and yeast appeard to die quicky
applied heat band and no matter how long i left it 4 weeks+
still wouldnt get to good hydrometer reading
was advised to keg it anyway on forum

result
3 weeks in barrel (beerspehere)
plenty of gas ..but is very cloudy indeed
and taste is bloody awful - sweet and i think alcohol free
another one for the drain

please guys just WHAT am i doing wrong

"but has a medicinal or tinny taste"
The first sounds like a good equipment cleaning would help. The second "plenty of gas ..but is very cloudy indeed
and taste is bloody awful - sweet and i think alcohol free" sounds like ferment never finished or even started. Perhaps a good shake up after the heat band was applied would have helped. It may have been expired yeast as well. My experience with the canned malt is the yeast has usually been close to expiration or well past it. Plenty of gas was maybe from the c02 injector? BTW, how are those beerspheres? Is there a good seal always, or does it leak? I used to have a king keg years ago, and the valve always leaked.
Anyhow, take a deep breath, try again. Everything must be cleaned well, and give it another shot.

Yup, medicinal taste is a relative easy problem to fix. Just be a little cleaner in the brewing.

Second, the yeast you are using, is it a dry yeast? If so, try liquid. Wyeast and White Labs are both excellent. Pitch when well started.

;) How many 'kits' must die man!!!@!@!@!

Seriously, just get a good recipe, use good ingredients, and use good sanitation practices and you'll have good beer. It's really not that hard if you invest a little bit into it.

Totally!

"You can do it!"

;)

I'm a little worried about the phrase.... "made as instructed". Did you follow the instructions on the can? If you did, post what you did... usually instructions on the can are the worst set of instructions known to man.

Back