Holy Crap it works

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdhucks7

Reaction score
Ok here we go (this may be long I am not sure yet just warning any readers).
Today was my third attempt at an all grain brew. The first two didnt go so well both had stuck sparges and the first one only ended up with about 3 gal in the fermentor(so i sprayed about 2 more in with a garden hose I was a little drnuk and PO'd at that point:mad:) the second was a little better and i ended up with about 4gal. I just kegged my first attempt and I do believe it is gonna be good which rocks :rockin:. The second will go in the keg later this week. Back to today. I did Yoopers Dead guy clone, i started about 11:30 or noon and just finished up with the cleaning. Today was by far one of the best brew days ever. If anyone else is reading this and thinking about going all grain then i suggest DO IT!
I mashed in a little hot but after letting it set and doing a bit of stirring i got the temp down and let it set for an hour. Vorlauf and add the first sparge everything went great, second sparge equally great. Ended up with about 7gal in the kettle. On with the boil, added hops chiller and irsh moss all went well. Flame out and turn on the IC and the shenanigans start.
:off:Two missionarys from the Mormans show up in my garage! Ok no big deal i will talk religion (in person) with almost anyone so I invite them to set down and have a bottle of water while I am waiting on the wort to cool. I tried to give them a beer but they would have none of it. I mean heck its about 95 here in the shade today a nice cold beer would have cooled them off, at least it was working for me :tank: they hung out for about a half an hour and i think i may have scared them cause all of a sudden they said well we better be going now and left. So i finish the chill and end up with about 5.5 gal in one fermemter and maybe 1.5 in another ( i didnt want to waste my first success of an AG).
My one piece of advice for any new AG brewers is to make sure that if you do the steel braid conversion on your MT then make dang sure that you buy the SS braid and not the plastic one (this was the problem with my first 2 brews) Anyway now I am off cause SWMBO is making me dinnner and i need another beer.

Maybe this should be in the drunken rambling forum (if so someone please move it for me)

SD

If you got the LDSs to leave on their own then you're doing something right!

Now go for the big leagues and see if you can get some Jehovah Witnesses on the run as well!

Two missionarys from the Mormans show up in my garage! Ok no big deal i will talk religion (in person) with almost anyone so I invite them to set down and have a bottle of water while I am waiting on the wort to cool.

I'd have chased them off with a rake.

Sounds like your day went OK. I'm really curious about the garden hose brew though. Did you happen to check the OG on that before you added the hose water. Or after? You really need to report back on that brew once you've tried it. :)

I kind of enjoy scaring the crap out of the missionary guys. I dont look like a nice guy anyway so it is fun to see them kind of try to get the guts to talk to me. These guys showed up just as I had been drinking for a few hours and I am always in the mood to talk religion with people about that time. I think I may have asked them more questions than they asked me. The best was my SWMBO sent out a mass text message about the situation and my brother sent me a text that said in his best Homer Simpson voice "This isnt about Jesus again is it?" and "Help me Jebus please Jebus help me".
The garden hose brew is in the keg and i will let you know in about a week if it is good or not. And once again I cannot stress the fact that you need to make sure your braid is Stainless Steel!!!

SD

The last few years I have had this challenge for door-knockers: "You can come in if you know more about your theology than I know about your theology."

No one, no one at all, has taken me up on this.

The last few years I have had this challenge for door-knockers: "You can come in if you know more about your theology than I know about your theology."
Now that is a good idea! I think that is why they left so fast because I was asking them questions they couldnt answer.

SD

I just take off all my clothes and open the door naked. Funny thing, have not had to do that in many years. You think they keep us in a database?

Kauai_Kahuna I just take off all my clothes and open the door naked. Funny thing, have not had to do that in many years. You think they keep us in a database?
Now that is something close to what I have done in the past. In college on a saturday, I was sitting calmly drinking a beer at about 9 or 10 in the morning in my underwear watching a football game (we had just gotten directtv!) A knock on the front door, and lo and behold it was the Mormans. They look at me look at the beer in my hand then at their watches, hand me a copy of their bible and off they go to the next house. I have no problem with other peoples religion and actually enjoy talking to them about it as long as they will listen to my side but dang it dont interupt me when I am having a beer watching the game!

SD

Back