temperature controlled secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinBrimer

Reaction score
Is it advisable to keep your secondary in a controlled temp just as you do with a primary? I'm working in a single carboy chamber, so if I can skip it for the secondary, I can brew again sooner!

Thanks guys!

Once fermentation is complete (usually after the first week), temperature control is less of a concern. I routinely keep my primaries in my fermentation chamber for one week, then move into the basement 'man room'. As long as you don't get crazy. Something in the 90s or 50s would be bad.

Is it unusual for the secondary not to ferment at all?? Its been since Tuesday and there is no airlock movement or krausen forming..thanks!

:rockin:
Is it unusual for the secondary not to ferment at all?? Its been since Tuesday and there is no airlock movement or krausen forming..thanks!

secondarys or "bright tanks" are for when PRIMARY ferm is done. you should see little to no fermentation but clearer beer in your secondarys

The term "secondary fermentation" is kind of misleading. Fermentation should be complete before you transfer to the secondary vessel. It is used mostly to help clear the beer by allowing 'gunk' to settle out. Very rarely is the second vessel used to continue fermentation. So, in answer to your question.....if you did it right there shouldn't be a whole lot of movement in the airlock and no krausen at all. An occasional bubble from the beer off-gassing is all you should really see.

Back