How long do I have to bring down temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale last night and this morning I check the fermentor and it was reading 70F. I'm at work and can't cool it until at least 7pm tonight. Will the beer be ruined with eaters by that point? The yeast I'm using is Wyeast London ESB.

Thanks,
Zach

You will probably get some esters and other minor off flavors, but it is far from ruined. All of these minor off flavors can be conditioned out, given a bit of extra time. After you bottle, plan for about 6-8 weeks at about 70F to bottle condition and carb, and those off flavors will mellow and meld and you'll hardly notice them.

Start another brew in the meantime!

I was able to have a friend cool the fermentor after about 12 hours since I pitched the yeast. Is this going to help?

Off flavors from high ferm temps are pretty much only a worry during the most active part of fermentation. By cooling it down after 12 hours, you probably reduced your off flavors by a good 75%, but you may still have just a tinge from the 12 hours, depending on when the active fermentation took off.

Just brew as normal, throw one in the fridge when it's time, and if you detect any off flavors, give the batch a few more weeks to bottle condition.

How accurate will the stick on thermometer be if it's slightly underwater from the bath the bucket is in?

It's not the best practice to lower your fermentation temps in the middle of fermentation. Best practice is to pitch cool and slowly raise the temp over the course of fermentation

Will the water in the tub be similar in temperature to the wort in the fermenter?

Will the water in the tub be similar in temperature to the wort in the fermenter?

The water bath serves to temper the temperature swings caused by the increases from active fermentation and the decreases from the environment. They will not be the same. The fermenter will almost always be warmer. One quick way to drop the temps is to put the fermenter on a concrete basement floor. The concrete serves as a heat sink and pulls heat out of the fermenter. If you want a good idea of where your temps are, try inserting a sanitized thermometer into the top of the bucket and take a reading periodically.

The water in the tub should be within a few degrees of the internal temp of the fermenter. Also, the stick on thermometers are rendered useless when submerged.

The water in the tub should be within a few degrees of the internal temp of the fermenter. Also, the stick on thermometers are rendered useless when submerged.

You are correct, the wort was 65F and the bath water was 64F.

Latest posts

Back