Weissbier Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, thanks for this recipie and the positive reviews. I am going to brew this one today using .5 oz of Hallertau (3.8%) and .5 oz of Hersbrucker (3%) since I have both on hand. I soooo look forward to the result!

Hello Bill,

Well, I could not leave well enough alone.... I made this yesterday with 1 lb extra light DME, 6 lbs Munich Wheat DME, .5 lb Munich Briess 6-row, .5 oz Hallertau and .5 oz Hersbrucker hops at 60 minutes. Pitched a starter with Weihenstephan Weizen 3068. OG=1.060, SRM=12 and only 10 IBU. This is at the upper end of the Weizen style, but not quite a Weizenbock.

My only issue was with getting all of the DME dissolved into only 1.5 gallons of wort. I have a 5.5 gal. brewpot and experienced my first boilover when I turned away for only a moment to prep the sink for the cold immersion.

That said, it all cleared up very nicely; the smaller wort amount allowed me to get the temp down in less than 10 min, and with the starter the thing took off in about four hours. I have it in a swamp bucket with the water at 70 degrees.

I think it is going to turn out very nice!

John

I drank half a batch of this recipe....its great! next time ill pitch my yeast at cooler temp...since i pitched this at high 70'sF, lots of banana smell and flavor...very good beer.

the other half fermented with TAMARIND FRUIT for 3 weeks, and now ill bottle.

Brewing this one today using 3068. This may very well be my final extract brew (using up the last of my bavarian wheat dme) and planning on this being my first kegged brew. Breaking in my new brew setup today as well. Somehow taking a vacation day off of work simply to brew makes brew day that much more enjoyable.

thought you might enjoy a picture of the first pour . .. posted this on the beginner's forum, sorry if it is a repeat. Delicious!

hefe.jpg

I brewed this last thursday and I've been fermenting at 62-64 degrees, based on the optimal german hefe fermentation temp given in 'Brewing Classic Styles'. Almost 4 days after pitching and its still bubbling away around once ever 5 seconds. Should be a good one to usher out the summer.

+1! Going to brew my second batch tonight, and once finished fermenting, will use limocello as priming sugar based on some positive results using liqueur on another thread (a hazelnut liqueur in a brown ale gave me the idea).

Prost!

Second batch, this one cold crashed and now four weeks in the bottle and two in the fridge, it is amazing how wonderfully it cleared.

hefeDec_5_2010.jpg

Second batch, this one cold crashed and now four weeks in the bottle and two in the fridge, it is amazing how wonderfully it cleared.

Didn't think hefes were supposed to be clear...does it affect the flavor vs one that's cloudy with the yeast and all the other traditional hefe color?

Didn't think hefes were supposed to be clear...does it affect the flavor vs one that's cloudy with the yeast and all the other traditional hefe color?

This picture was a 4/5ths pour from a 22 oz. bomber; the remaining bit swirled in the bottle and added, which then gave it the traditional cloudy look. My purpose in taking the picture is just to show how patience can result in almost lager-like ales. The color is darker, yes, I added more specialty grains and extract. If you follow the thread back I took this most amazing recipe and extended it to just over the style guidelines; stronger, darker than a hefe but not quite a Weizenbock. The taste is darn good!

This picture was a 4/5ths pour from a 22 oz. bomber; the remaining bit swirled in the bottle and added, which then gave it the traditional cloudy look. My purpose in taking the picture is just to show how patience can result in almost lager-like ales. The color is darker, yes, I added more specialty grains and extract. If you follow the thread back I took this most amazing recipe and extended it to just over the style guidelines; stronger, darker than a hefe but not quite a Weizenbock. The taste is darn good!

Sweet. I love hefes. One of my favorites. I'm a fan of the Franziskaner and Paulaner hefes.

Why is would you mix both yeasts? Am I missing something? I think he is saying is use the 300 it is basically the 3068.

I asked about mixing because the first post with the recipe lists the yeast as:
Yeast Starter: Starter is made of 2nd generation yeast. It is a mixture of WLP351 and 3068 Bavarian

Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen from CLONE BREWS, page 82

Brewer: Bill Elwell ([email protected]
Beer: Paulaner Hefe Weizen
Type: Extract w/grain
Size: 5.25 gallons

Water: 4 gals PUR filtered tap water placed in freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing.
Grain: 4 oz. Briess Munich Malt 6-row
Steep: Crush malt. Steep in ½ gal water at 150F for 20 mins. Sparge with 1 gal 150F water.
Boil time: 60 minutes

Malt:

1 lb. Extra Light DME
5 lb. Wheat DME

Hops: .5 oz (½ oz.) Hallertau Hersbrucker (6% AA) for 60 mins = 3%AA

Yeast: Starter is made of 2nd generation yeast. It is a mixture of WLP351 and 3068 Bavarian Weizen yeast and 1 baby food jar of WLP351.

Log: BREW DATE: 5 May 07

Bring steeped malt to a boil then remove from flame.

Add hops and 1 lb XL DME and dissolve. Boil for 45 mins. Remove from flame.

Add remaining malt 1 lb at a time and dissolve.

Return pot to flame and boil 15 mins. Remove from heat.

Sparge hops through net on primary. Top off to 5.25 gals with freezer water. Stir in.

TEMP: 70F (Strip) / 68F (Therm)
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010

Potential alcohol: 3.990% ABW / 4.988% ABV

NOTE: I removed 45 oz of gyle from the wort and placed in 2 mason jars in the fridge for kraeusening at kegging time.

8 May 07: Temp: 77F / Gravity: 1.012

10 May 07: Temp: 77F / Gravity: 1.010 Definitely sweeter than the last batches. Very nice though. Still a bit of the sulfuric smell. I’ll probably keg this weekend. Don’t forget to warm the gyle up to room temp.

Carbonation:

11 May 07: Kegged. I added the 2 mason jars of gyle in the keg then racked on top of it. Topped gas off to 25 psi.

17 May 07: Sampled and re-topped off to 25 psi. I placed the keg in the fridge to get cold (40F). I’ll put gas on it (25 psi) for the next few days to carbonate.

Tasting:

17 May 07: Sampled keg. Beer is definitely on the sweet side in a nice way.

NOTE: I upped the hops on the next batch slightly by.05 oz to .55 oz instead of .5 oz.

19 May 07: The keg’s been on 25 psi for 2 days now. There is a small head, but not much carbonation. Sampled from the keg. Tastes VERY good. On the sweet side of delicious. Gassed up to 25 psi again.

5 Jun 07: Me and Dan killed this keg in 1 day. It was so tasty. I find it comparable to a Julius Echter HW from Nurnberg and the sweetness close to a Roth HW from Schweinfurt. I definitely will have to make more.

EDIT: The .5 oz of hops used in this recipe tastes better than the .55 oz used in 2 subsequent batches. Keep it at .5 oz in future batches. There’s nothing wrong with the batches using .05 more hops, they are just (slightly) more bitter.

Hello there,

I'm planning to make this pretty soon cause of the +ve review this has gotten.

Being a newbie can someone please tell me what is this procedure all about?

Yeast Starter: Starter is made of 2nd generation yeast. It is a mixture of WLP351 and 3068 Bavarian

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone who's brewed this used the gyle/krausening method from the original post or are folks just priming with corn sugar for bottling? I'm a relative noob, so this sounds a little daunting.

I'm looking forward to brewing this up, but sadly my LHBS doesn't have wheat DME right now, only LME, so I think I'm going to be going that route and hope it doesn't effect the flavor.

For those that are bottling this what vol of Co2 are you bottling at? I want to make this my next brew but will have to bottle and dont want bombs, but do want enough carb for the style.

Would mashing Flaked Barley work as a substitution for the:

Grain: 4 oz. Briess Munich Malt 6-row

If so, would I just use 4oz to match?

Just to follow up my earlier post for anyone who like me didn't want to go the krausening route - I ended up adding about 7 ounces of corn sugar at bottling per the hefeweizen specs I calculated with http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Actually called for 8.8oz, but I didn't realize I was low til it was too late and it carbed up amazingly well in 2.5 weeks. Again, this was also after using LME instead of DME in the original recipe.

And this beer is really good! My first homebrew that I've actually wanted to replicate! (Not sure if that says more about the recipe or my skills as a brewer)

I brewed this one up, but only used 3068 instead of both yeasts. I was well pleased, and I'm planning to brew it again. Thanks for sharing!

I brewed this one up a couple weeks ago (extract & primary only for 19 days). I followed the recipe except I used just WLP351 Bavarian Hefeweizen. I didn't make a starter on purpose to bring out more banana flavors which seems to have worked perfectly. It has been kegged for about 5 days now. Everyone at my 4th of July BBQ loved it. I have a second batch fermenting right now that I pitched on the yeast cake of my first batch. I will report back with the differences of underpitching/ having plenty of yeast.

dsc00578hz.jpg

Thanks for the simple delicious recipe :mug:

Made this a year ago and was great - Brewed it again and noticed the same thing: Long fermentation. 10 days in and I still have 1/8" of krausen.. Did a pail last time and in my notes it bubbled for 7 days.. Getting antsy to bottle this one up.

hey just brew a batch today , I am bottling this in 2 weeks and was wondering how much primming sugar to use , thank

ok i bottled my beer and i primed it with priming sugar 8.4 oz well after about 2 weeks the beer is flat there is very little carbanation, i went and bought crab tabs, i think i will wait for one more week, then should i put carb tabs in each bottle or does any one have any other idea, the beer came out good thou, the fermention was high around 80f 82f
thanks

I brewed this a few weeks ago - it was my second brew.

Everything went so perfect compared to my first brew (which wasn't bad, just not great.) Except..

Well, I was enjoying some extra-hard cider (my very first foray into beer/winemaking) and I think I enjoyed too much. I had all my ingredients weighed out in advance EXCEPT my hops.. So when I added hops I added the full oz. Realized this as they were slipping into the wort. I do not use hop bags, I just toss them in and strain as it goes to primary so there wasn't a lot I could do.. I used pellet hops so I was able to fish a little bit out with a spoon, but I definitely still had way too much hops in there.

Is Bitterweiss a real thing? Cause I think I just made it. I bottled this the other day, didn't want to dump because I know the hops will fade with time. Is this going to be a problem with a wheat beer which as I understand should be enjoyed when it's relatively young?

Anyway, OG 1.052, FG 1.011, spent 12 days in primary and 3 in secondary. Smells of Hallertauer, banana and clove (the smell is amazing, just very bitter on the back end!)

Any recommendations? Should I open these bottles and make a sacrifice to the beer gods or should I let them age a good, long while? I'm pretty heartbroken about this, I love a good Hefeweizen and this looks and smells so perfect - wish I had a Flux Capacitor and Mr Fusion. =(

The moral of the story, kids, is that you shouldn't get drunk and then do things. It's the other way around!

I would not worry. I have had a few hoppy hefes in my day. Now, I really did not enjoy them, but I am not a hop head.
I would say open and enjoy, if they taste too hoppy, let them age some. The bananna clove will fade, but so will the hops. Or after 4 you won't taste anything anyways :)

Hello all,

I just brewed (or attempted to brew) this recipe and had a couple of questions about some things that came up during the process.

First, after the 45 minute boil -- i remove the pot from the burner and added the 5 lbs of wheat DME (which at first didn't seem like it would all dissolve in the wort but eventually did). Then I put the pot back on the burner to boil for another 15 minutes...however, the foam in the pot kept trying to boil over and I would have to remove the pot from the burner until the foam lowered. This went on for about 30 minutes before the boil stabilized.

My question is, does this time spent trying to achieve a stabile boil (without boiling over) count toward the desired 15 minute boil? Or should I start timing the final 15 minutes only upon stabilization? I wasn't sure so I started timing after the foam subsided. i was worried that I might be making the beer too bitter though.

And second, the recipe calls for cold water to be added to the wort to top off to the desired volume. Is this supposed to happen after the hot wort has had an ice bath to bring it down below 80 or so degrees? Or does the cold water get added directly to the hot wort? I wasn't sure so i went with the ice bath first.

Thanks in advance for any advice. This was my sixth batch of beer, and I am learning more every time.

Jeff

This happened to me when i added the dme it over boiled many times i turned down the temp just to a rolling boil then when everything was clam i started the 15min, boil any way i cooled down the wort to 74 because when fermantion starts the temp goes up an few degrees, all in all I love hefe's, there my favorite beer and this one was great

Hello all,

I just brewed (or attempted to brew) this recipe and had a couple of questions about some things that came up during the process.

First, after the 45 minute boil -- i remove the pot from the burner and added the 5 lbs of wheat DME (which at first didn't seem like it would all dissolve in the wort but eventually did). Then I put the pot back on the burner to boil for another 15 minutes...however, the foam in the pot kept trying to boil over and I would have to remove the pot from the burner until the foam lowered. This went on for about 30 minutes before the boil stabilized.

My question is, does this time spent trying to achieve a stabile boil (without boiling over) count toward the desired 15 minute boil? Or should I start timing the final 15 minutes only upon stabilization? I wasn't sure so I started timing after the foam subsided. i was worried that I might be making the beer too bitter though.

And second, the recipe calls for cold water to be added to the wort to top off to the desired volume. Is this supposed to happen after the hot wort has had an ice bath to bring it down below 80 or so degrees? Or does the cold water get added directly to the hot wort? I wasn't sure so i went with the ice bath first.

Thanks in advance for any advice. This was my sixth batch of beer, and I am learning more every time.

Jeff

I wouldn't worry too much about the boiling time. As far as the cold water goes, I keep two gallons of water in the fridge already chilled and ready to go. After my wort cools to 100 degrees I add one gallon of the fridge water, then add the hot/warm wort on top into the sanitized fermenter. I mix it a bit, then add the other gallon of fridge chilled water. After that, I top off with simple tap water and that usually puts me around 65-70. Pitch yeast, clean up everything, then sit and relax.

Hope this helps!

7lbs german wheat malt, 2.75lb german pilsner malt, 1lb rice or oat hulls, mash 150f for 90 min
1 oz 2.4hub hallertau for 60 min
( some of my own i added 4oz belgian aromatic malt an 2oz of acid malt i mashed it in with the other grain)
mash with 2 gallons sparg with one gallon

Back