Hop Pellets - Strain the Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Thus far I've only done kit recipes (3) with DME, some grain steeping and various hop pellets (provided in the recipe). I had one recipe where it had a hop bag and instructs said to use it only with the flavoring hops (pellets). The rest of the time Its been throw the hop pellets directly in the wort during different stages. Question on pellets, should you use a strainer then when you are putting the wort into the primary? the pellets break down pretty much but a strainer would catch a fair amount I'd suspect.

I just re-read the beginner section of the joy of brewing and it states "Warning: When using any kind of hops, strain wort before adding to fermenter". I initially took that as whole hops but...

desertBrew said:
Thus far I've only done kit recipes (3) with DME, some grain steeping and various hop pellets (provided in the recipe). I had one recipe where it had a hop bag and instructs said to use it only with the flavoring hops (pellets). The rest of the time Its been throw the hop pellets directly in the wort during different stages. Question on pellets, should you use a strainer then when you are putting the wort into the primary? the pellets break down pretty much but a strainer would catch a fair amount I'd suspect.

I just re-read the beginner section of the joy of brewing and it states "Warning: When using any kind of hops, strain wort before adding to fermenter". I initially took that as whole hops but...

I'm new to this too, but my last 4 batches I used pelet hops. They break up as soon as they hit the boil. After you cool the wort all the hop sediment seems to sit at the bottom of the kettle, as long as you keep the hose you're using to siphon with above that layer you won't get much trub into your fermentor. I've read that the faster you cool the wort the lower that trub will settle.

What I've been doing is sticking my tube all the way down to the bottom of the kettle, start the siphon with the other end of the hose in some container other than my fermentor. I then slowly raise the tube until sediment stops flowing through the vinal hose. Then I move the other end of the hose to my fermenter and siphon all the remaining wort to the fermentor. Last batch I had there was about 1/3 gallon of trub left in the kettle.

It seems to work for me, but like I said, I'm new to this too. I'm sure one of the pro's around here could offer better advice than I.

Before you start the siphon, stir the wort vigorously to create a mini whirlpool, the sediment will collect in a mound in the center with little on the edges where you siphon. Also wrap a choreboy scrubber around the pickup to filter.

Hmm, I haven't siphoned the wort into the primary in the past, just poured it in from the kettle. The 1st batch I just launched it all in there. Subsequent batches I'd pour short of getting all the sediment from the kettle (sublimenal messages "should that be in there?" flowing through the gray matter). I did the pour thing as that's what the references I've read all said to do (Joy Book & How to Brew web site). I'd think using a large strainer would be easier if this stuff isn't supposed to get into the fermentor and would also do a substancial aerate as well.

Probably a premature question without me knowing exactly how to use whole hops but you strain those right? So why not strain if its pellets as well?

-- revised: Well after re-reading this: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9-1.html I think I've educated myself a bit more...

desertBrew said:
Hmm, I haven't siphoned the wort into the primary in the past, just poured it in from the kettle. The 1st batch I just launched it all in there. Subsequent batches I'd pour short of getting all the sediment from the kettle (sublimenal messages "should that be in there?" flowing through the gray matter). I did the pour thing as that's what the references I've read all said to do (Joy Book & How to Brew web site). I'd think using a large strainer would be easier if this stuff isn't supposed to get into the fermentor and would also do a substancial aerate as well.

Probably a premature question without me knowing exactly how to use whole hops but you strain those right? So why not strain if its pellets as well?

-- revised: Well after re-reading this: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9-1.html I think I've educated myself a bit more...

I always pour everything directly into primary. (*kinda helps give yeast some 02) I feel like if you leave the hops in the primary, you'll get more flavor, when I go to secondary I leave as much stuff behind as possible. I have not had a problem with bitterness, although I guess you could depending on what your making and what hops you have. All in All your not going to hurt a thing. I have never made anything I could'nt drink yet....Brew On

I just bought an "herb ball" the other day. I havent used it yet, but its a little ball thats made out of stainless screen and you put your hops in that and hang it from the side. Seems like it will work good.

I didn't strain when I used pellets, I just tried to leave the sediment behind at each racking. Whole hops clogged the siphon on me, so I may used mesh bags next time, or be more careful w/ the siphon. Just try to leave as much as you can behind when you go to secondary...risk of off-flavors.

rightwingnut said:
I didn't strain when I used pellets, I just tried to leave the sediment behind at each racking. Whole hops clogged the siphon on me, so I may used mesh bags next time, or be more careful w/ the siphon. Just try to leave as much as you can behind when you go to secondary...risk of off-flavors.

My kit came with a "bucket top strainer bag" that you pour everything through, then throw out... Brewmasters select... but don't take my advice, I'm still fretting my first batch!

I use the screen strainer for the top of the bucket and sparge the hops with cold water. I do this because I bottle and reuse the yeast.

BTW, the metal ball is only good for hop leaves, pellets will dissolve and fall right through the holes.

I've used women's stockings (managed to steal a pair of wifeys). Tie knots in the legs as high as possible, and cut the legs off below the knot. Stretch the waist band over your fermenter and hey presto, one hop strainer. It works OK, but probably doesn't remove all the small stuff.

Just boil the stockings in some water first to sanitise them and remove any dyes.

does anyone know a good way to strain the hops sediment through a funnel into a carboy, i've tried a coffer filter but the wort barely pours through as it continually gets congested, maybe a screen strainer over the kettle? any suggestions? thanks

I don't even bother straining, I just let the sludge go into the fermenter if it gets sucked up by the siphon. Now leaf hops, on the other hand... they can be a serious pain in the butt if you don't filter those things if you're using an auto-siphon.

Screen strainer gets clogged in a hurry as well. Get an auto-syphon. You won't regret it. It's one of the best $10-15 investments you will make. You can get your wort into your primary in a fraction of the time with no effort. You will have a little wort left in your brew kettle but that can easily be strained with a screen strainer, etc. if you want every last drop.

Screen strainer gets clogged in a hurry as well. Get an auto-syphon. You won't regret it. It's one of the best $10-15 investments you will make. You can get your wort into your primary in a fraction of the time with no effort. You will have a little wort left in your brew kettle but that can easily be strained with a screen strainer, etc. if you want every last drop.

Depends on your strainer. For 5 gallon batches, I use this.

4569-Strainer.jpg

$15 at Target. Not only does it strain out the hops, it aerates the wort as well. Works like a champ and is stainless to boot!

Edwort,

that thing is perfect, I am having the same problem as mentioned above though. Trying to filter into a carboy is a pain in the arse. is there another solution for a carboy that is simple and would not involve sanitizing another vessle?

main concern is pellets, not whole hops

thanks

that strainer isnt going to strain any pellet hops. I got a funnel at the local brew shop that came with a detachable integrated strainer. Its very fine, made of nylon and looks almost like a thin bedsheet. This type of strainer gets all the hops out. Unfortunately, its an annoying process since it gets clogged up immediately so you have to keep dumping it, increasing the risk of contamination. I would use the vortex method or leave it in wich is what I do. I seperate it when I transfer for bottling. Its only logical that leaving it will probably cause your beer to be slightly hoppier, which I would call a bonus. However, its only logical that it may impart some sort of off flavor depending on your fermentation practice.

#52: Great addition to the PACK!

As for the hops, I don't strain before filtering to the primary. The solids will settle to the bottom if you let it be in primary for about 3 weeks.

The tea balls work for pellet hops too. When I remember to use mine (read I always forget) you end up with a mass of hop pellet in the tea ball at the end you need to clean out. That being said 18 batches of brew later I haven't seen any ill effects from just leaving the hops in the primary, but I like hoppier brew.

Cheers

that strainer isnt going to strain any pellet hops. I got a funnel at the local brew shop that came with a detachable integrated strainer. Its very fine, made of nylon and looks almost like a thin bedsheet. This type of strainer gets all the hops out. Unfortunately, its an annoying process since it gets clogged up immediately so you have to keep dumping it, increasing the risk of contamination. I would use the vortex method or leave it in wich is what I do. I seperate it when I transfer for bottling. Its only logical that leaving it will probably cause your beer to be slightly hoppier, which I would call a bonus. However, its only logical that it may impart some sort of off flavor depending on your fermentation practice.

I use a similar strainer to the one in the picture (mine's slightly smaller and doesn't quite sit on the lip of the bucket unless I add an extra support - I may hit Target looking for this one). Metal mesh. It strains out a whole crapload of pellet hops. To the point where it clogs up and I have to clean it 2-3 times just to pour a 3 gallon boil into the primary.

I have a stainless strainer just like EdWort's (purchased at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $10). Yeah- awesome investment. It gets 99%+ of the pellet hops out and def helps aerate the wort. I often reuse the yeast, and some beers I brew sit on the primary cake for three or four weeks, so it's really important to me not to have a bunch of hop trub sitting and creating acrid off-flavors. Also, the strainer works really well if you have other additions in your boil- such as lemon or orange zest, basil, heather tips, etc....

wow that must be a seriously tight mesh strainer. i just did a sculpin clone with separating the trub before primary. well see if theres any difference from my last beers which have all been with the hops left in. I like to do 3 weeks primary 1 week secondary with dry hop.

What about using a coffee filter by doing the tea bag method (minus dry hopping)? Put the pellet hops in the coffee filter, close it up with wire or string and add them to the boil as you need to as long as the wort is boiling. The oils from the hops will make it into the wort while the trub will be left behind. I plan on utilizing this method when I do my brew this weekend.

Yeah- that looks like a really good option too- probably better than the strainer. I love my strainer, but when pouring through it into the fermenter it will often clog with hop sludge and splash some of the wort onto the floor. I might be heading to my LHS soon for a strainer bag. How durable is the bag, though? How many times can it be used before it's crap?

FWIW - and a little OT, but....

I have the same strainer. I use it to support the bag when using DeathBrewers Brew In The Bag AG method.

So far as Hops, I just tried a batch using a nylon reusable hop bag from my LHBS - Simply AWESOME. For $3.99, I'm gonna grab a few more. NO HOP floaties were discerable when poring wort to fermentor. ( It is basically the same material / mesh as paint straining bags, just smaller, with a drawstring I tie t te handle of my brew kettle, and then fish out with a spoon and added the later additions to - when I was done, I suspened with said strainer, let drain, and voila - clear wort! )

Back