Make Perfect Thin and Crisp French Fries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What an interesting article! I will have to try this with some burgers this weekend. Looks pretty easy to do so hopefully they will turn out good!

America's Test Kitchen JUST did an episode where they made French Fries using a method I've never seen before, but which is very straightforward and the fries come out perfect.

You use Yukon Gold potatoes and cut them into 1/4" fries. Using peanut oil, you put the fries and oil into a pot at room temp, then turn on the heat to bring it up to a boil. Once the oil is bubbling vigorously, you start counting for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes you can use a spatula to break apart any stuck fries, and scrape up any stuck to the bottom. Then leave the fries in there for another 5-7 minutes until they are at the color and crispness you want. Once they are done, immediately take them off the heat and put them on paper towels to drain.

The important points that were stressed on the show were that the 1/4" cut, the Yukon Gold, and the peanut oil are all key to getting them to come out right. Russet potatoes, for example, get too mushy for this technique to work.

For the longest time I've been saying frozen fries are the best. I've worked in several restaurants that made fries from scratch but never both steamed/boiled them then double-fried. It was always either double-fried or steamed-then-fried. That's why I never make them from scratch, too much trouble when you can buy them frozen and you get a great product.

It also depends what you like. I agree with the author that Mickey D's fries are the best, always have been. They take their fries seriously. But go to a place like Five-Guys and you get the dense, greasy, dark fries that 'technically' are terrible. But they're friggin fried potatoes so they're still tasty. And some people prefer that slight 'char' flavor and dense texture.

Orfy made a good thread about 'proper chips' from the UK. Those are different.

For the longest time I've been saying frozen fries are the best. I've worked in several restaurants that made fries from scratch but never both steamed/boiled them then double-fried. It was always either double-fried or steamed-then-fried. That's why I never make them from scratch, too much trouble when you can buy them frozen and you get a great product.

It also depends what you like. I agree with the author that Mickey D's fries are the best, always have been. They take their fries seriously. But go to a place like Five-Guys and you get the dense, greasy, dark fries that 'technically' are terrible. But they're friggin fried potatoes so they're still tasty. And some people prefer that slight 'char' flavor and dense texture.

Orfy made a good thread about 'proper chips' from the UK. Those are different.

I've had places in the UK that served "chips" and "french fries" which were a different style. So I guess the US belief that chips = fries isn't quite right, it is a little more nuanced.

Ordering a burger with chips in a pub gets you something pretty damn similar to ordering a burger with fries at a pub here, they just cook the damn burger to death.

I don't get why five-guys exists. Everybody loves it. I tried it twice. The fries are seriously wanting (though they give you a LOT) and the burger is about the quality of In and Out for twice the price. A burger fries and soft drink gets to within 2 or 3 dollars of the same at a restaurant across the street that has a much better burger, much better fries, and table service.

Back