Variable Volume Fermenters (Wine) but used for Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for quite a while and have been leaning towards one of these due to their remarkable construction and their ability to change the amount of volume that they can hold for any fermenting liquid...

Some have said due to the surface area, this would change the fermentation characteristics dramatically, however, I don't see how this is completely true.

For reference this is what I am talking about...

https://morebeer.com/view_product/19590

Can anyone provide me with a logical explanation as to why not to use one of these?

Thanks very much.

Jason

Yea I agree... however I've tried the route of Plastic large fermenters and have been falling into the same trap everytime with contamination... I just don't trust plastic anymore...

If you're getting contamination with plastic then I'd start looking at sanitation & cleaning with a microscope so to speak. If you're dead set on SS then a sanke keg is an ideal fermenter and they are much cheaper! I use an orange carboy cap on mine when I ferment in them and it works a treat.

I actually went to a sankey keg for a while... Worked out great but now its been re-purposed into a mash tun...

I think I'm just going to save my money and go with a bunch of Carboys... It just sucks that they won't be making them any more in Mexico and we have to get the more expensive ones from Italy...

Oh well.

Back