Large Yeat Cake - White Labs - Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtomd

Reaction score
I brewed a standard IPA using White Labs California Ale. Typically, I have used Wyeast or dry yeast.

It was in the primary for 10 days and appeared fully fermented as the foam had went down and final gravity matched the recipe target. However, when I racked in to a secondary, the yeast cake on the botom was huge (almost a full gallon according to the measurements on the side of my brewing bucket).

I feel like I lost some volume from my final product due to large yeast cake and the liquid contained within. I never have this problem before with any other brew (about 15 batches).

Is this expansive yeast cake normal? Does WHite Labs typcially result in larger yeast cakes? Is there something that I could have done wrong?

There really isn't a normal in brewing, every fermentation is different, as is the size of the yeast cakes. SOme yeast produce more, some less, the size also can be a result of the grainbill, there could be proteins and other stuff that cause more than if you patched the same yeast in a different recipe.

Back