Whole vs. Pellet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermish

Reaction score
I have a question about whole hops from somewhere like freshops.com versus pellet hops. I know they both have advantages for some things, but the question I have is about the quantity that you need to use. If I normally use 1 oz of pellet hops, how much would I use of whole hops?

Thanks for the help, and if you have a favorite place to buy whole hops let me know.

Hermish said:
I have a question about whole hops from somewhere like freshops.com versus pellet hops. I know they both have advantages for some things, but the question I have is about the quantity that you need to use. If I normally use 1 oz of pellet hops, how much would I use of whole hops?

Thanks for the help, and if you have a favorite place to buy whole hops let me know.
According to Randy Mosher's book Radical Brewing (chapter 5) "pellets will yeild about 25 percent more IBUs than whole".

He also goes on to say that the bitterness can vary greatly with the storage and age in whole hops.

True, pellets vary, but under any storage conditions, whole hops lose AA faster.

I like whole hops best for aroma and dry hopping. Pellets are generally better for other purposes as well as longer storage. Kent Goldings is a favorite on aroma hops.

I prefer whole hops. Pellets are brown in color and I don't like that. I compare it to smoking Mexican dirt, or indoor skunk #1.

They're sister related plants BTW.

Mr Bigins said:
I prefer whole hops. Pellets are brown in color and I don't like that. I compare it to smoking Mexican dirt, or indoor skunk #1.

I don't know what kind of pellets you are buying, but the ones that I get are always green.

So does anyone have a favorite place to buy whole hops?

Back