Can i flip back and forth between Beer/Soda in the same kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conodor

Reaction score
Planing on using my new keg set up for both beer and Soda. (with normal clean/sanitize) can i switch back and forth between using the same kegs?

Or should i set 2 kegs for soda aside and use them just for that?

THanks a million!

I don't see any reason you can't go back and forth. They're stainless steel...it'll be fine.

If you've ever made root beer, you'll know that you will never get the smell out. Ever. So, I'd suggest not only separate kegs, but separate lines.

You'll need really long line for soda anyway- like 25-30 feet since it's usually set at 25-30 psi at 40 degrees- so it's easy to keep them separate. For ginger ale, it's not so important- the taste/smells go away. But for rootbeer, give it its own keg and it's own o-rings and it's own line.

Really? Wouldn't have thought that. I thought stainless steel was pretty much bulletproof (smell-proof anyway).

I defer to Yooper...she's more experienced in the ways of sweetness than I. (Root beer, I mean.) :D

Really? Wouldn't have thought that. I thought stainless steel was pretty much bulletproof (smell-proof anyway).

I defer to Yooper...she's more experienced in the ways of sweetness than I. (Root beer, I mean.) :D

Not more experienced in areas of sweetnes-- just older in general!

We have a "blue topped" keg that is now the rootbeer keg, even though I make rootbeer about twice a year only.

The other thing- since you need such long line for soda, I found it was much cheaper at McMaster-Carr for what I needed. I bought 50 feet of line that leaves no plastic taste for about $.15/foot. There is a thread on here about that line- I think the thread is called "plastic taste" or something. I'll see if I can find it.

I didn't realize you needed so much hose for RB. Ill have to do some research. Should have my kegerator finished next week.

Thanks for the input.

I didn't realize you needed so much hose for RB. Ill have to do some research. Should have my kegerator finished next week.

Thanks for the input.

The reason for the extra length comes down to the carbonation. Soda is much more carbonated than beer- I keep soda in the 30 psi range. In order to get a decent pour, you need to have the resistance of the extra line. Otherwise, it'll be all foam. Beer can have much shorter lines, depending on temperature and the volume of co2. My beer lines are 10 feet in my set up.

Holy Crap... Science ,science everywhere. I have a keg set-up (beer) and only have about 6' or so... Is there a formula for finding the correct line length and diameter line etc. etc. etc.???

Back