Plate chiller cleaner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanH

Reaction score
I've seen a couple similar ideas but nothing quite this simple. Keep in mind that it's only the first step in cleaning your plate chiller.

Garden hose, 1/2" adapter, 1/2" barb. Blast water through both the wort in and out sides. Seemed to work very well. Under $15

image-504066315.jpg

My sink already has a male GHT on it by default, so a female FHT on a piece of 1/2" tubing is all I need to backflush. Both fittings are under $3 so that's the way I recommend others go.

daksin said:
My sink already has a male GHT on it by default, so a female FHT on a piece of 1/2" tubing is all I need to backflush. Both fittings are under $3 so that's the way I recommend others go.

Oh man that's awesome. I'll look into that

Lol, clearly I was rather drucken, as I basically described what you have there, without the adaptor. But yea, I just leave the adaptor on my sink all the time. Can't think of a reason not to.

An auto-siphon will also work to rinse, clean (w/ pbw), and sanitize. Most people already have one and that way could avoid making an extra purchase how ever cheap it may be...

http://youtu.be/Yi-Ib0vBnXQ

Sorry, I wasn't sure how to embed the video.

I switch the out and in. I recirc hot water with PBW through all of my equipment including my plate chiller for about 30-mins. It seems to do a pretty good job.

What fittings do you have on your plate chillers? Ihow do you use this with male camlocks? I have an adapter that goes from a Male GH to a Male camlock, then I can plug the garden hose into any of my brew hoses and flush.

mattd2 said:
What fittings do you have on your plate chillers? Ihow do you use this with male camlocks? I have an adapter that goes from a Male GH to a Male camlock, then I can plug the garden hose into any of my brew hoses and flush.
I use the high temp plastic quick disconnects on all of my equipment. I have male QDs on my ball valves and the in/out on my plate chiller. On the waterside, I have male garden hose fittings.

I get the PBW as hot as possible. Sometimes I add my bucket heater to my kettle and recirculate through my whole system and clean everything at once.

I use the high temp plastic quick disconnects on all of my equipment. I have male QDs on my ball valves and the in/out on my plate chiller. On the waterside, I have male garden hose fittings.

I get the PBW as hot as possible. Sometimes I add my bucket heater to my kettle and recirculate through my whole system and clean everything at once.

Sorry my question was for the OP. What you do sounds similar to what I do, except I give the plate chiller a couple of flushes/ back flushes first with the GH adapter and camlock hoses

mattd2 said:
Sorry my question was for the OP. What you do sounds similar to what I do, except I give the plate chiller a couple of flushes/ back flushes first with the GH adapter and camlock hoses

All you see is what u use. I turn the hose with the device on the out side. Then I just slide the tubing off the barb and connect it to the in side. I go back and forth a couple times without even turning the hose off.

That's more of a preliminary flush of debris than a 'cleaning' so I think my next step will be to hook up my immersion pump to use oxiclean or Star San.

I used to be into aquariums (before beer) and had a small pond pump laying around that had a half inch nipple on it....same size as what is on the plate chiller (Duda Diesel). I collect the hot water from the chiller and use that initial water to do a first rinse. Then I dump in a scoop of oxyclean to the same water, run for a few minutes, reverse the flow, and then run for a few more minutes. Last step is to pump star san through it for a few minutes.

No cost for me because I happen to have a pump around that works great.

Ed4 said:
I used to be into aquariums (before beer) and had a small pond pump laying around that had a half inch nipple on it....same size as what is on the plate chiller (Duda Diesel). I collect the hot water from the chiller and use that initial water to do a first rinse. Then I dump in a scoop of oxyclean to the same water, run for a few minutes, reverse the flow, and then run for a few more minutes. Last step is to pump star san through it for a few minutes.

No cost for me because I happen to have a pump around that works great.

Awesome!

Back