American Amber Ale Mojave Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I hit 72-75% efficiency... not too bad for my first all grain... my CPVC manifold I just made worked great... nearly zero vorluf required... I used slots and cut them using a bandsaw...

How long did it take for everyone krausen to fall? Its been fermenting for 9 days now and its still got a 1/2-1" layer of foam... it was fairly agressive after about 12 hours for a good 36 hours. Am considering taking a FG reading tonight and kegging it up, but just wasn't sure about the krausen...

Thanks for this recipe, I just kegged 11 gallons of this but used Cascade instead. This is by far the best beer I've made in 4 years. Cheers.

Well, guess the yeast isn't going to drop, but fermentation is definitely complete at 1.01-1.012... going to go ahead and rack between the sediment/top layer and keg it up tonight.... Going to dry hop in keg with pantyhose...

Awesome beer! I'm originally from ridgecrest, ca, so I was stoked to brew this one, and it turned out great. Thanks for the recipe.

I've got this kegged now for about 6 days and its still super duper cloudy, almost muddy looking... any suggestions? Should I toss in some gelatin?

I'm not sure about "fixing" the beer at this stage, but if you didn't use irish moss in your boil, consider it next time.

Been eyeballing this recipe for a few months now, just ordered ingredients from MoreBeer. Will be brewing this weekend!

I has PMed Revvy for advice on a good Irish Red, and he pointed me to this recipe with the disclaimer that it wasn't Irish, per se, but was an amazing beer. Looks like both judges and regular people feel the same way, so I believe that I'll do this one - or at least a version of it.

Thanks for providing this recipe, Malticulous!

First off, I'm using BeerSmith to convert this to a partial mash; I don't yet have the equipment for AG.

Secondly, I'd like to "Irish" it up just a bit. I'm posting what I have now... input would be very much appreciated.

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: WLP004 (White Labs Irish Ale)
Yeast Starter: yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 29.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 16.9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7

39.6% 4 lbs Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
42.1% 4 lbs 4 oz Maris Otter
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2% 3 oz Melanoidin Malt
1% 2 oz Carafa II special
0% 1/2 oz Roasted Barley - 550L
Mashed at ~152

60 mins 1.0oz Challenger 7.2
20 mins .5oz Fuggles 5.0
10 mins .5oz Northdown 5.7

Pitch yeast starter

Carbonated to 2.5 volumes

This would give me a beer of the same ABV as the original recipe. A shade darker (still red, I am hoping), a bit less hoppy, with slightly more of an Irish character to it, thanks to the Maris Otter, the UK hops, and the Irish Ale yeast.

Any other suggestions at all are greatly appreciated!

For and Irish style I would not use the Cascade dry hop. They should not have much if any hop aroma, certainly not Cascades. If you do use the Cascades it's still better off in competition as an American Amber. That little dry hop really changes this beer a bunch.

I'm going to try out Pacman next time I brew this. I'm tempted to toss in some Simcoe too.

For and Irish style I would not use the Cascade dry hop. They should not have much if any hop aroma, certainly not Cascades. If you do use the Cascades it's still better off in competition as an American Amber. That little dry hop really changes this beer a bunch.

Thanks for this advice. I wondered about removing the dry hop.

Understand, I won't be entering this in an sort of competition (homebrewing is illegal still in Alabama), I'm just trying to hit my goal of an "Irish" Irish Red.

Any other hop substitution suggestions?

Thanks for this advice. I wondered about removing the dry hop.

Understand, I won't be entering this in an sort of competition (homebrewing is illegal still in Alabama), I'm just trying to hit my goal of an "Irish" Irish Red.

Any other hop substitution suggestions?

I think I mentioned in my pm for hops use English varieties such as Fuggles, EKGs, Northdown, Challenger, Target, Northern Brewer, Brewers Gold, things from the UK.

Okay, I have revised my recipe above. Hop schedule is now 1 oz Challenger at 60 minutes, .5 oz Fuggles at 20 minutes, .5 oz Northdown at 10 minutes. I also slightly modified the grain bill - a little more grain, a little less extract.

Beersmith tells me that I am just a tad high on both gravity and IBUs for the style, but I think that I'm okay with that.

This incarnation should be a bit more malt forward than the original recipe (.465 bitternes ratio versus the original .567); honestly, I'm guessing that in and of itself will make it a bit more "Irish".

From an absolute newbie's perspective, this is looking like it will be a really good beer. Thoughts?

I brewed this up today, but had to make a few ingredient substitutions due to my LHBS inventory. Here were the changes

Carafa III instead of II (amount unchanged)
~3x the amount of Roast Barley (~.13lb, due to a heavy hand :))
Perle instead of Palisades
Saaz instead of Sterling (1.0oz instead of 0.5 due to some weak Hops)

I hit my numbers exactly, so I am stoked to see how it turns out. I will be serving this next month at the Texas Blues and Brews Festival, so I am hoping it turns out as good as it sounds.

I brewed this up over the weekend and it sure looks and smells tasty! I also went with Saaz instead of Sterling. And I increased the grain bill a bit to account for my lower efficiency. I hit 72% this time around so not too bad.

9lbs 2 row
10oz of 40L, 60L, 80L
5oz Melanoidin
3.5oz Carafa II
and 1oz roasted barley

Its bubbling away in my fermentation chamber so I am looking forward to drinking this :D

Thanks for the recipe!

Tasted this last night for the first time and its good, but seems to be missing something. Its much darker than the pics on the first page, and I can't taste any of the hop flavor. I'm considering adding some hops to the keg....

Not real sure where I went wrong, but most likely its the mash. I didn't stir the mash much when doing this brew for some reason, i just forgot. So my efficiency was down around 56% after recalculating, not 72% like I thought :/

Thanks for the suggestion, I might give that a try on a 3gal batch when I redo this. But you are right, it is nice and malty which i like. I just want a tinge more hop flavor :)

It did taste a little better last night. I think it just needs a little time.

I just brewed this except I upped the roasted to 1.75 oz just because I can! The wort sample was great! Came in at 1.060. I'm excited to taste this sucker!!

Whenever we are in the Inyo area we always get a couple glasses of Mojave Red so I'm going to try this brew next.

The question I have is that on Indian Wells Brewing's website they say Mojave Red is made with Hallertau and Cascade hops, but this recipe uses Willamette, Sterling, Palisades and Cascade.

Why the variation?

Here are some quotes from way back in this thread.
I found out that there is a small brewery in California's high desert making a lager with the same name.

I named this before I knew the name was used commercially, it is not a clone. I picked up a sixer of the Indian Wells brewing lager of the same name when I seen it just over the border in Nevada.

The color is close. Theirs has low head retention and very strong caramel aroma and flavor. No other malt flavors pop out. It finishes quite dry. Not much going on with the hops, just a medium bitterness. It's odd for a lager. I'd have to classify it as a not so malty Irish Red. If I had brewed it the recipe would not get posted here.

I'm not a fan of that lager. I live in the far north of the mojave desert. The desert is red here.

44605d1327267185-mojave-red-p1030523.jpg

This is a must brew for me, love the style.
Just wondering though how I would go about brewing a 5 gallon batch. Should I just cut the grain and hop bill in half???

Hi again , trying to get my order in for this recipe.

I'm living in Sweden at the moment and all they seem to have regarding crystal malt is crystal 100, 150, ,200 and 300.
Seems to me that they must be real dark. Is there something I could substitute for the 40, 60 and 80 stated in this recipe, help!

Malticulous said:
That seems like EBC instead of SRM. It's not hard to convert. There is more info is on wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Reference_Method

Thanks man, unfortunately I had no patience and ended up ordering
Cara ruby 50 - (castle malting) EBC 43-57
Cara blond 20 -(castle malting)EBC 18-22
Crystal 100 -( Viking malt) EBC 100

Thinking wrongly that I would land somewhere quite near the recipe by just bumping up the 20 and 50 whilst minimizing the 100.
That link was perfect and I've learned a lesson now.
So according to SRM=EBC x 0.508
That leaves me sitting here with something in the region of
Cara 25-30
Cara 10
Crystal 50

It's strange as they don't seem to stock anything that lands right on 40,60 or 80. Seems to be all or nothing. It might be possible to hit 50,75,100 instead. But I really wanna try this exact recipe:(

I guess I'll just have to brew it up and see how it goes as I search the illusive crystal, 40,60 and 80. When alls said and done, I'm still gonna have good beer;)
Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Slainte!

First sample today as I went into secondary.
Very malty and a nice change from what ive been brewing lately. ( super hopped, playing with base malts and hops)
I'm curious as to how the cascade will transform it. I guess I'll just have to wait 7- 10 days to find out.
So far , so awesome.

I must say I didn't hit my gravity levels , landed on 1.049. Couldn't get enough of a boil going on my stove top.
You see I have a pot which holds 27 liters and anywhere over 22 liters seems to just simmer/light boil.
Anyways it's so tasty that 4.3-4.5% abv makes its perfect session beer.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

Slainte!

Malticulous,

Just wanted to let you know that I finally did try my Irish red based off of your recipe here. Wonderfully malty, drinkable beer - may be the best batch I have brewed so far. Turned out as good as any Irish red I've ever bought.

Thanks!

I'm going to attempt a similar beer. Here's my adaptation:

Recipe: American Red TYPE: All Grain
Style: American Amber Ale
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 18.0 SRM
IBU: 59.7 IBUs
OG: 1.067 SG
FG: 1.014 SG
BU:GU: 0.896
Est ABV: 7.0 %
Batch: 5.50 gal

Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 9.0 oz Total Hops: 3.80 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 14.4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.7 %
11.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.0 %
11.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
11.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
4.6 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %
2.3 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.0 %
0.8 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7 0.4 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.21 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.80 oz Magnum [14.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 36.5 IBUs

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.058 SG Est OG: 1.067 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 15.6 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 6.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 12 1.4 IBUs

Then I will probably dry hop depending on what the samples taste like with Chinook most likely.

I'm going to attempt a similar beer. Here's my adaptation:

Recipe: American Red TYPE: All Grain
Style: American Amber Ale
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 18.0 SRM
IBU: 59.7 IBUs
OG: 1.067 SG
FG: 1.014 SG
BU:GU: 0.896
Est ABV: 7.0 %
Batch: 5.50 gal

Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 9.0 oz Total Hops: 3.80 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 14.4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.7 %
11.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.0 %
11.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
11.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
4.6 oz Munich Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %
2.3 oz Carafa III (412.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.0%
0.8 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7 0.4 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.21 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.80 oz Magnum [14.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 36.5 IBUs

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.058 SG Est OG: 1.067 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 15.6 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 6.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 12 1.4 IBUs

Then I will probably dry hop depending on what the samples taste like with Chinook most likely.

I brewed today. With a few last minute changes that I bolded. My homebrew shop doesn't carry melanodin malt so he said Munich is a decent replacement. I also added 1/2 oz of cascade at both 5 minutes and flame out. I forgot to take a picture but it came out a bright red.

Back