Need some help/opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
2 simple questions for you all..... Im planning to brew up a stout and wanted some thoughts on the recipe. The other thing is I plan on using Dennys Favorite 50 and Im wondering how to put it into my beersmith since it doesnt have it?
Heres the recipe.....

Est OG 1.07
Est FG 1.016 -.18
Abv ~7%
IBU 29.8
Yeast - Wyeast 1450
Ferment 17-21 days @ 65F

*Grain Bill*

Mash- Single infusion, 60 min @ 155

8.5# Marris Otter
1.75# White Wheat
1.5# C60
1# Flaked Oats
12 oz Chocolate malt
8 oz Black Roast Barley

*Boil*

1oz Magnum @ 30 min
1# Cocoa Nibs Candi Syrup @ 15min
.5# Lactose @ 10 min

My advice is skip the chocolate and use more roasted barley. Make sure it is roasted unmalted barley.

Cheers!

2 simple questions for you all..... Im planning to brew up a stout and wanted some thoughts on the recipe...

Could you specify what kind of stout you're going after? I know not everyone brews tightly to BJCP styles, but what sort of flavours, mouthfeels, aromas would you prefer to see in your stout?

My advice is skip the chocolate and use more roasted barley. Make sure it is roasted unmalted barley.

Cheers!

What is the reason for this substitution?

I want to agree offhand, as chocolate malt is usually better suited to porters, but it's nice to give reasons behind suggestions like this so the questioning homebrewer can learn what this grain will contribute to his beer.

Overall KeyWest its difficult to say what you're trying to achieve. From your provided grain bill it looks like you want a medium/light stout (crystal 60 & wheat) with medium dry (black barley) yet quite sweet character (oats and choc malt).

I agree with the guy who responded, though maybe you could add roasted (unmalted) barley while reducing your chocolate malt, as this would bring your stout up from the dryness of black malt to a more rounded mouthfeel.

But other brewers might have different experiences with different malts...really depends on what you're trying to achieve with it as I said above.

Hope that helps somewhat, haoppy brewing :mug:

Yea I'm aiming for a chocolate cream stout with a bit higher abv than BJCP guidelines. The recipe is kind of a mix between the Deception Cream stout and Yoopers Oatmeal stout.

They didn't have roasted barley at AHS when I was putting this together, just the black roasted. So up the roast barley and cut back on the chocolate malt?

I disagree with the advice above about getting rid of the chocolate malt and replacing it with roasted barley. I use a mix of the two in my cream stout, have experimented with different proportions, starting with 1/2 lb each in a five gallon batch is a good starting point.

Pappers_ said:
I disagree with the advice above about getting rid of the chocolate malt and replacing it with roasted barley. I use a mix of the two in my cream stout, have experimented with different proportions, starting with 1/2 lb each in a five gallon batch is a good starting point.

Good to hear this was my gut feeling after reading countless recipes.

KeyWestBrewing said:
They didn't have roasted barley at AHS when I was putting this together, just the black roasted. So up the roast barley and cut back on the chocolate malt?

Just my two cents. But that's for a pretty basic stout and subsequent info points to something a little more involved than that. Stouts are a showcase for roasted barley - that's why!

Back