My Strawberry Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsnthelou

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im really liking my latest brew and it definitely turned out more clear this time. First time I tried secondary fermentation, think I'm sold on it :)

image-583137859.jpg

I didn't, I used an extract instead. After using fresh pumpkin on my pumpkin ale I was greatly dissappointed by the lack of pumpkin taste, so this time I went extract.

Did you do a secondary fermentation (ala re-pitch yeast a second time) or did you transfer to a secondary? And with the extract when did you add? Sounds good...

Thanks

I added the extract or maybe flavoring is a better word for it when I racked to secondary. No additional fermentation. This time the beer turned out much clearer and the strawberry smelled and tastes wonderful but not too sweet. Great summer brew :)

I have generally used a quart of fresh strawberries per gallon with BM's Centennial Blonde. I'm sure this would change based on the hop profile and final gravity of your beer. I usually puree them with a little amaretto liquor to help with sanitizing and rack on top of them.

I have generally used a quart of fresh strawberries per gallon with BM's Centennial Blonde. I'm sure this would change based on the hop profile and final gravity of your beer. I usually puree them with a little amaretto liquor to help with sanitizing and rack on top of them.

That sounds really good. I'm sure it would stand to reason the more ripe the fruit is, the better the strawberry flavor comes out? :mug:

brewsnthelou said:
That sounds really good. I'm sure it would stand to reason the more ripe the fruit is, the better the strawberry flavor comes out? :mug:

It's possible, but there is a point where the ripening is more sugar production over flavor changes. Since these sugars ferment out anyway, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make in the flavor profile of the beer.

Latest posts

Back