just learning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle buck

Reaction score
i am starting to gather what i think to start brewing, but first, i have a dumb question. if ale yeast rises to the top after fermentation, why does everyone talk about yeast settleing in the carboy? seriously, i really don't know. thank you for your consideration

Ale yeast will build up on top during the fermentation, but once their job is done they settle to the bottom. Let me see if I can find some pictures for demonstration purposes...

welcome a borad, and dig the screen name! best damn movie ever. and no dumb questions here. we welcome all.
ale yeast is a top fermenting yeast, as opposed to lager yeast, which is a bottom fermenting yeast. the top fermenting yeast strains are more effective at temps between 55-75 degrees F. the bottom fermenting yeast are more effective at temps below 50-55 degrees F. once the ale yeast is finished with the ferment and pooped out all the alcohol and CO2 it can, it falls to the bottom of the fermenting vessel, creating trub (troob) or sediment.
try www.whitelabs.com or www.wyeastlab.com for some yeast info, pic's, and specific's on different yeast strain characteristics.

Exhibit A:
GreatHead.jpg

Note the krausen forming on top, with layer of trub forming on the bottom. (Note, I'm "borrowing" the pic from DrewsBrews ;) )

Some supplementary questions:
If an ale yeast forms a krausen on top of the brew as shown on the pic.
Does a lager yeast form krausen at the bottom of the brew -- or does this float up to the top. Also, does a lager yeast create more trub as it is working away at the bottom of the brew?

Mike

it will still have a kraeusen on top, but not as thick and rapid as an ale yeast activity.

okay, Uncle Buck may not be the "best" movie ever, but close! Plane, trains was great too.

woodstone said:
LupusUmbrus -

Picture perfect with the ale yeast dump....hmmmmm....lots to do this weekend but brewing sounds (errr, looks) better...:drunk: :p

Cheers!

Hey Woodstone- see you're in MA too- I'm out in Upton- you?

What up Truble?! Small world. I live in Berkley south of Taunton (495 and 24). I work in Littleton (495 and 2) - yep, its a haul! With that said, I know where you are...drive by twice a day (well almost...Upton's not too close to the highway)! We'll have to keep an eye out for each other and maybe hookup for a brewfest...busy now, but attempting to bottle my Chablis Mead, pumpkin ale, and ginger beer this weekend...and prime my AmeriLite and Cerveza that are secondary in kegs already. I take months off then brew like a mad man for a month...as you can tell, I'm in "mad man" mode again. :p Cheers!

BeeGee said:
I thought Great Outdoors was better myself, but I'm sure I'm in the minority. I can't get enough of that bear jumping up and down on that door!
How about the name of the Jet Boat, "Suck My Wake"!

Back