help with fermentation chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner

Reaction score
so the heat in southern nevada is starting to arrive and I'm not gonna let it stop me from brewing! I don't have too much money to build this chamber with so I was looking for some economical ideas. I've noticed that many other builds use mini fridges to cool but I do not have one and haven't been able to find any cheep enough. I did see other plans involving computer fans, ice jugs, and a thermostat. I guess my question is will that hold decent ale fermenting temperatures? keep in mind my garage will easily get to 105 degrees in the summer.

any help is greatly appreciated!!
Cheers! :mug:

Sure, but good insulation is going to be very critical. If you can't get sufficient cooling with one of the standard builds, you might need to add another layer of insulating foam board. Keep your seems extremely well sealed. Also, be ready to change those ice jugs frequently.

Build two chambers. One for the fermenters and one to hold PLENTY of ice. +1 on insulate them well.

For that kind of heat, you are going to need a fridge.

Keep looking, I see cheap and free fridges on CL all the time. You just have to be ready to pounce, I've lost out by being less than a hour too late.

ETA: Are you near a college? This time of year, college kids get rid of huge numbers of mini-fridges.

For that kind of heat, you are going to need a fridge.

Keep looking, I see cheap and free fridges on CL all the time. You just have to be ready to pounce, I've lost out by being less than a hour too late.

ETA: Are you near a college? This time of year, college kids get rid of huge numbers of mini-fridges.

^ This is good advice. I just bought a mini-fridge in good condition for 20 dollars on craigslist.

I just bought 2 inch styrofoam insulation and sketched out a chamber involving 2 chambers but i might end up waiting for a fridge to show up on craigslist.
thanks for the advice guys! I always get answers from this great site!

Get something like this:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/app/2355690455.html

3n43k33oc5Y25T15R1b4u8886c617e23e1b6b.jpg

off of craigslist for $40.

Go to Home Depot and get the materials for a 2 x 2 x 4 foot box made from 2x4's, OSB, and 1" foam board. ~$70.

Go to e-bay and get a digital aquarium controller - $25 with shipping.

So for $150 or so you can build a great temp controlled ferm box that will last you for years and allow room for 3 five gal buckets. If you only use 1 or 2 buckets, it will give you a little room for temp-controlled conditioning.

If you do it incrementally (controller this paycheck, a/c next paycheck, box materials the paycheck after that), you can get it built with a minimum of financial pain and still have plenty of time to brew all summer long. It's really an easy build, too.

Back