Rye/Wheat Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 57668

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast #1010
Yeast Starter: 2500ml
Batch Size (Gallons): 12
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 15.4
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.1
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 68 F
Tasting Notes: Plan to brew this weekend 4/2/11.

Recipe: Rye you got a problem with Wheat Beers?
Brewer: Turning Gear Brewery
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.84 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.33 %
2.00 lb Rye Malt (Briess) (3.7 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.08 %
1.50 oz Mt. Hood [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
1.50 oz Williamette [5.20 %] (10 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
2 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Fly Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 24.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Fly Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 30.00 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Notes:
So, after reading a little bit of Ray Daniels' "Designing Great Beers", I decided I'd try my hand at making a good summer American Wheat beer that incorporates Rye in the mash.

I plan on brewing this on 4/2/11 using my Brutus stand, but wanted to post it here for a little critiquing before hand.

To the explain the name of the brew a little, my father hates wheat beers. I was attempting to make a wheat beer that lacked the common weissen characteristics that he doesn't like; hence the name.

Looks like a good recipe to me. I've never used 1010, but I've heard mixed things about it. I'd probably just go with 1056, especially if you want an unassuming yeast character. Good luck brewing.

skeeordye11 said:
I hope you got a whole bucket of rice hulls for this. Other than that, it looks tasty.

I hadn't planned on it. I was never quite sure the purpose rice hulls served. Care to educate me a bit?

If you have done a lot of wheat beers and your system sparges fine, you have nothing to worry about.

Both wheat and rye lack hulls, so you have significantly less filter material in your mash to set a grainbed. Further, wheat and rye are both known as being more sticky than barley.

Rice hulls are just that: hulls. They aid in sparges by increasing the available filter material, spacing the grain and allow the wort to wash through at a reasonable pace. Possible without, though sometimes frustrating.

I did a wheat/rye with 8lbs of vienna, 7 lbs of wheat, and 6lbs of rye. I added 1lb of hulls (11 gallons) I found it to be a very slow sparge. Stopped several times.

But the beer was great. I did mine with a more german influence: acid rest at 111 degrees in the mash, HallerTau hops, and WL380 yeast. Really nice beer.

good luck with yours!

Excellent post!

I was just coming back to edit my original post after doing a little searching on the use of rice hulls in the mash. It seems like its a common technique that isn't really discussed very much, or maybe I'm just inexperienced with using wheat.

I've never had any sparge problems using Rye (10-15% of the mash) with my false bottom MLT, but then again, this will be my first beer using a hull-less grain in such a high %. No big deal, I'll pick up a pound of rice hulls from the LHBS when I get the bag of wheat.

Thanks!

Back