N. Country Malt 2-Row pricing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artguy

Reaction score
I've seen folks here quote $27 frequently for a 55 lb. bag of 2-row at NCM, but I only see it on their catalog for $35 from Canada Malting Group. Am I missing something?

There are two areas on the site, I believe you are looking at the "homebrewers area". To really get the price down to $0.27 you need a bulk buy of 2000 lbs. There is a different part of the site, you have to call them and get a password to access the "pallet' rate pricing..

Call in the order and most likley you will get the cheaper price but you won't if you order it online.

If you look at the date of the catalog is '07...call prices change all the time.

There are two areas on the site, I believe you are looking at the "homebrewers area". To really get the price down to $0.27 you need a bulk buy of 2000 lbs. There is a different part of the site, you have to call them and get a password to access the "pallet' rate pricing..

No, we had four bags on our last bulk grain by and they were $26/sack

No, we had four bags on our last bulk grain by and they were $26/sack

I live in RI and was curious how often you guys buy bulk? I would be interested if you ever do another one anytime soon.

The shipping by the pallet is way less than you'll pay by the sack. It also depends on where they are shipping it to.

I called them last week because I was curious. If you buy a few sacks, they charge fedex ground. For 4 sacks to philly, it was around $100 or so for shipping, which makes it cost prohibitive. If you can take delivery of a pallet at a work location, it is much cheaper. To philly, it was around $125 total for shipping. Not sure how many sacks you can fit on a pallet, maybe 30-40? Regardless of how many sacks, shipping was the same price for the pallet. If I had a group in philly, I would consider trying to arrange a group buy.

If you buy a few sacks, they charge fedex ground.
If I buy 2 or more sacks they auto-select FedEx Ground but if I buy 1 sack I can use the FedEx Zone 2 (or whatever it's called) which is a little cheaper. For one sack, FedEx Ground is ~$30 and FedEx Zone 2 is ~$26.

how much they charge you for shipping? was that 2 row pale malt?

Depends on how far away you are from where its shipped

300 miles has been around $120 for shipping the last three times
I think we had 30 bags on the pallet

I live in RI and was curious how often you guys buy bulk? I would be interested if you ever do another one anytime soon.

About twice a year, we should have one coming up within a month
PayPal is the only way to go with this
I can fill you in with particulars
Send me a PM so I can keep it there to remind me to get back to you
Pick up is pretty close to you
Canton, MA.

yah, the catalogue is not 2009... I got my 2-row for $27.

I told them about the out of date price list on the website like 3 weeks ago and they STILL haven't fixed it. Geez. I know there's a 2009 PDF out there somewhere. Dontman sent it to me via email.

for CMC 2-row, but I go to Champlain to pick it up. I always call ahead to get prices / availability and they have everything all stacked up and ready to go when I arrive.

If you have a brewpub in your area ask if they will sell you bags of grain. Our local brewpub sells 50# bags of any base malt for $30. No shipping and they load it into your truck/car for you.

About twice a year, we should have one coming up within a month
PayPal is the only way to go with this
I can fill you in with particulars
Send me a PM so I can keep it there to remind me to get back to you
Pick up is pretty close to you
Canton, MA.

OK now that my PM box is full

There MIGHT be room on the next pallet, last one was pretty close to maxed out

I told them about the out of date price list on the website like 3 weeks ago and they STILL haven't fixed it. Geez. I know there's a 2009 PDF out there somewhere. Dontman sent it to me via email.

Yes, I asked them to send it to me
Prices are about what the website shows , a quick look and nothing really jumped off the page at me.

The big difference that affected our group buy is that the new catalog does not have a price break at 2000 lbs. It jumped up to 4k.

What WAS the break at a ton?

Not that it much matters but we were only about 2-3 sacks away on our last buy.
Still good prices anyway.

Just ordered 55 pounds of 2 row pale ale malt for $36.93, shipping was $24 and change. It will be at my front door on Wed. Just so happens I have Wed- Sun off I see some brewing going on next week!!!! :ban: Oh yeah that was shipped to Tucker Georgia. Comes out to 1.10 per pound.

I am driving there next week and the price she quoted me over the phone was $27.01 for Canadian 2-row.

canadian 2 row isn't listed in the homebrewers 2009 catalog. this product must be on the level of briess or rahr 2 row base malt

What WAS the break at a ton?

Not that it much matters but we were only about 2-3 sacks away on our last buy.
Still good prices anyway.

Actually, most of the breaks were at 2200 pounds which is still under the one pallet limit. That break is 3 cents a pound. That's like $60 off the pallet. Of course, when you call, they'll claim there is no longer a break there and that it starts at 4k. When you say that the price book on the website disagrees, they claim you're looking at the wrong thing but won't fix it.

Hardly...:rolleyes:

Check the malt analysis.

Is it the canadian malting 2 row pale malt? by the sack that is $35.89 for 55 pound sack

If it is Great Western if they still sell it under that label from the USA, the sacks were only 50#

Is it the canadian malting 2 row pale malt? by the sack that is $35.89 for 55 pound sack

If it is Great Western if they still sell it under that label from the USA, the sacks were only 50#

This is it, got mine for $27 a couple months ago. Then again, the dollar isnt worth what it was :D

That really sucks then..Three months ago I bought their canadian pale malt and they charged me the 2009 catalog rate. It was a pickup order. This time I went with fawcett & sons Maris Otter because of the cost of the canadian pale malt being so high. I also wanted to see how the fawcett compares to the Bairds Maris Otter they sell which I have used.

That is odd OB, because the price for Canadian 2 Row was higher then $27 in the 2008 catalogue as well... $27 is less than BOTH catalogues. Weird.

I picked up the Best Malz Pilsner for about $36 a sack

If you look at the sales book above they have the superior pilsen malt, then 2 row traditional canadian malt, then the canadian pale ale malt .

the 2009 catalog has 2 row premium pils, 2 row pale ale malt, and 6 row premium pils. They seemed to have dropped the 2 row traditional.. Is this 2 row traditional the malt you are getting or the pale ale malt?

I have been using the best malz pils, wheat and munich for a long time and am very happy with their malts.

What I'm saying is that you'll see item number 2002 in the homebrew book listed as 2 row pils. In the bulk list, that item is listed as plain 2-row. The number being the same means it should be the same. When one says Canadian 2-row, I think of item 2002. When you get the bag, the 2-row box is checked and the pilsner box is not.

What I'm saying is that you'll see item number 2002 in the homebrew book listed as 2 row pils. In the bulk list, that item is listed as plain 2-row. The number being the same means it should be the same. When one says Canadian 2-row, I think of item 2002. When you get the bag, the 2-row box is checked and the pilsner box is not.

gotcha! 2002 is 2002 either way

What I'm pissed about is that they are getting bulk rate prices from the midwest warehouse as walk in customers, and I'm paying homebrewer prices from champlain ny warehouse as a walk in.

I don't know how they differentiate between the two types of customers because the bulk price list doesn't suggest any kind of minimum. The first column pricing is less than or equal to 1000 pounds. 55lbs fits that description.

you would think that is commercial bulk malt prices with pallet shipping. Meaning if you only need to order 10 or 20 sacks of a particular item this price is listed for up to 1000 lbs of that items cost. Once over 1000 Lbs, it cost you less per pound for that item. Like for an example we were talking about item 2002.

OB, are you saying that you do not get the say... $36/sack price shopping out there?

I am extremely fortunate that I can drive to Mid Country and pick it up when I buy. Makes an Indy bulk buy really easy to do, no shipping costs.

OB, are you saying that you do not get the say... $36/sack price shopping out there?

I am extremely fortunate that I can drive to Mid Country and pick it up when I buy. Makes an Indy bulk buy really easy to do, no shipping costs.

According to Bobby M's "bulk grain catalog", from 1 to 1000 lbs of the 2060 which is the product code for canadian pale malt, it cost 50 cents per pound, which ends up as $27.50 for 55 pound sack. This is in line with how much you are paying as a walk in customer.

As a walk in at champlain NY, they are using the 2009 homebrewer catalog which lists the 2060 CPA at $35.89

http://www.northcountrymalt.com/files/PDF/2007Catalog.pdf

The best malz pils B101 is 62 cents per pound in bulk which is $34.10 a sack. Homebrew cat. B101 is $34.78 which isn't much difference compared to the CPA 2060. That's why I thought you were getting something different???

im surprised they dont have more of a discount between pallets. when we did the group buy, we had 2 full pallets but split it into 2 orders of 1 pallet each because the savings of 1 verus 2 pallets was 1cent per pound of grain. so you save 55cents on every sack when you order 2pallets instead of 1.

the pallet shipping rate was $105 per pallet, then 20% fuel charge is $21 = $126 per pallet. it just doubled if we ended up combining the 2 pallets.

Back