Pumpkin Ale how long in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed a AHS Pumpkin Ale on 4 Oct how long should I let sit in primary before I
bottle it? will cold crashing help it ? Any any tips I want to drink for turkey day.

I would let it sit for 3 weeks minimum. If you used real pumpkin then 2 weeks primary, 2 secondary. Cold crashing and gelatin would clear it out.

I did a pumpkin a few months back that is now almost as clear as water. I just let it sit in primary for 5 weeks and then carefully siphoned the clear beer into a keg. I cooled the beer down to 40 degrees before I siphoned it off to help clear the fines out of suspension. The key to good pumpkin beer is patience. Time and temperature will yield a great tasting and very clear beer.

I did mine with 2 cans of libby's pumpkin also! Mine was in primary for 2 weeks, and has been in the secondary for almost 2 weeks. I'm going to bottle on Saturday. Got a FG of 1.018....a bit high, but probably from the extra sugar from the pumpkin.

It's funny..mine looks pretty clear now, but I did wind up with another 1/2" of gunk at the bottom of my carboy.

I just brewed a AHS Pumpkin Ale on 4 Oct how long should I let sit in primary before I
bottle it? will cold crashing help it ? Any any tips I want to drink for turkey day.

How funny, I brewed this one on the 3rd. ;) Used a 30 oz can of libby's.

Come to think of it, I need to go check on it. Can't wait to taste it!:mug:

Brewed one with natural pumpkin was in the primary for one week and then cold crashed at 48 F in secondary for a week and a half.

Back