orange peel bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
I posted this in the beginners section but its been a day and I havent gotten a reply so maybe I'll have some luck here. Does the bitterness from orange peels act the same way as hops and dissipate over time, or does it stick around for a longer time?

Well, the only beer I've used orange peel in is a Belgian Witbier. It contributes bitter, but its a different type of bitter than hops. For me, the orange peel bitter doesn't stick out - its hard to identify is one way to put it. So, I guess the answer for me is no, because its not really upfront when the beer is young, like hops are.

What are you thinking of brewing with those orange peels?

I have already brewed a wheat with orange peel and coriander and I personally think the orange peel gave the perfect amount of bitterness. I didnt use any bittering hops and Im hoping the bitterness stays around if I age it for a while.

Latest posts

Back