Who wants to go LARGE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, you'll burn through the 200 gallon annual limit in no time...

"But dear, you always said you wished I had a larger one... I though you were talking about my brew kit!"

Gotta tell my wife that there is a few more items i need to make my brewing equipment complete:D:D
I just feel that bottling night will be a long shift:drunk: :drunk:

"Used very little", I wonder if they bought the system before they learned how to brew or before they found out they were in a dry town? I've seen both cases. $90K is a bit steep for 12 barrels, there was a 15 barrel system locally that went for less (case 1) last year. 25 cents on the dollar is more typical, because people have to pay for removal, shipping and re-installation.

david_42 said:
" I wonder if they bought the system before they learned how to brew

Hypothetically of course, but how long would it take the average homebrewer to figure it out and make a decent beer with something of this size?

The key is "decent beer" . Brewing scales easily, in fact, larger is easier because temperature control is always a part of larger systems and yeast pitch rates are much higher. Widmer's Collaborator program gives local homebrewers a shot at brewing their beer in a 40 barrel system. Of course, a merely "decent" brew isn't likely to be selected as a Collaborator.

Numerious local pros went directly from 10 gallon systems to 4-15 barrel systems and made good ales first run. The flip side is, if you can't make a great ale in 10 gallon batches, scaling up won't help. Some people people (like myself) make decent ale. I'm smart enough to not try to go pro because I can't make great ales consistantly. I've seen cases where people have tried.

I guess what I'm wondering is "Wha Happun?" It sure appears someone was hell bent on buidling a brew pub up there in Michigan, and it fell apart. So here's a perfectly good system (apparently) that is looking for a good home.

So you figure 90K, but once you break it down and transport it to where-ever, you're adding cost cost cost.... But do those costs outweight going to JV and getting a new system?

Ize

the_bird said:
Boy, you'll burn through the 200 gallon annual limit in no time...

"But dear, you always said you wished I had a larger one... I though you were talking about my brew kit!"

c'mon. . .who actually counts the amount of beer they brew?? I have a friend who makes 80 gallons of wine at a time, and does it all year long. Of course, he has also attempted to make whisky . . . :D

Back