Anyone ever use an aftermarket HD canning element on their stove for boiling wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medo

Reaction score
Ahoy hoy,
I found nothing relevant about this using the search feature, so Ill take a chance that im not being redundant. I have found that they make a replacement element for your standard electric stove top range, that is designed to be used by folks that can foods. It is 2500 watts, a 5 wrap, and has a heavy duty 3/4 inch base support, so that it not only holds the pot a bit higher then the lip around the stove edge, but can handle 40-60 qts of liquid weight with no problem. Since I have uses other then just homebrewing for just such a device, I ordered one this weekend off of Ebay for 20 bucks total, including priority mail shipping. Since I have boiled 8 gallons in my 50qt pot on my stock range burner even though its a Pain the the arse, due to the pot not sitting flush on the burner due to the lip around the edge of the stove, Im having to think that this might just work out fairly well. In any case, Ill try a 20 buck option before cutting another hole in my 50 or 100 qt pots for an element that will essentially condemn the pot to electric only. ( I wouldnt want to put a pot with an element on my gas burner, just wouldnt want to). So, Ill give this a shot, and post my results as usual on here. But, I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these lately and if so, how did it go? Like i said it was only a 20, so if it doesnt live up to my expectations, I can use if for other things with no major loss.
Thanks for any input, and I bid you all a great day.

You mean a hot plate? It would take quite a while to boil a few gallons I would think. it would be nice not dealing with any gas though, you could brew wherever you want.

Yo,
No, its not a hot plate. It is a replacement element for your big burner on your kitchen stove. Its designed to sit up higher, and has a support so that it can easily hold a 10-15 gallon pot for canning. You remove your stock element, and plug this one in. It allows the larger pots to achieve 100% contact of element to bottom of the pot without the edge of the range or the weakness of the stock element setup effecting it. From the canners Ive talked to that have used it, it makes a difference as big as day and night with the speed they can heat and boil their water for canning.
Well mine was shipped out yesterday, so post office willin, Ill have it by the weekend, and can give it a try and will post the results in a new thread.
Still looking for anyone thats used one with wort.....
I bid you all a great day!

I use propane in the garage for my brewing, but I recently bought one of the elements for my stove to use with my pressure canner. I'd killed the supports on an old burner so the old one needed replaced so I figured it was a small price difference to upgrade (something like $16 for a regular element from HD or $20 for this one).

It's made a huge difference with my pressure canner, it heats up quicker and since its raised up just enough it doesn't kill the stove top.

It also really helps when boiling water for cooking pasta or just general cooking.

Ahoy hoy,
Well I promised to let folks know how this went. Ive done 2 batches, back to back, with the canning element. And, on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 7ish. It can achieve a boil, and this using my 50 qt pot and 7 gallons of wort. Its not as violent a boil as i prefer, but its definitely a sound solid one. Now, I do have 2inch foil backed insulation ( duct insulation) wrapped around the pot to help it hold heat. But, while it definitely isn't equal to gas, it sure beats the stock burner all to hell. Ive found it works best with a 90 minute boil as that is what it took to get 7 gallons to 5 since its not a roaring boil But if you dont have any other choice, it will do the trick. For the 20 bucks, which included shipping, i cannot complain. If anyone has questions, shoot me a line.
I bid you all a great day!

I was checking on the thread Medo ...good stuff to know...sounds like a mulligan for anyone who brews on a electric stove..Just hoping they make canning elements for the Canadian Bretheren

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I was checking on the thread Medo ...good stuff to know...sounds like a mulligan for anyone who brews on a electric stove..Just hoping they make canning elements for the Canadian Bretheren

The canning elements should work on any stove unless its made by GE, they have some special connector from what I understand

how very weird, I have been researching for about 9 months now about setting up an all grain system, but due to the cost and p.i.t.a. propane would be in the rainy NW I wanted to start off with electricity somehow. I finally find out today that they make stove top elements that go up to 2600w and bam! you have a thread about it!

I really think that this is the route that im gonna go, since I don't own the house I'm in so I can't go wire the place to build a kick ass brewery, nor do I have the funds. I do have a few questions for you tho.

how long did it take to get to mash temp? how long to boil from there? Is it something that can be taken on and off at will? I'm not sure how the rest of the household would feel about burning their dinner due to my super charged element :rockin: do you think that this could have a chance in holy hell at boiling a ten gallon batch?

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone purchased one of these canning elements online, then had trouble installing it? I'm just wondering if they're semi-universal. It seems like they would be, but I wanted to ask and see what experiences other people have had, because many online store return policies leave much to be desired, as evidenced by my recent conversation with one of the customer service reps:

Welcome to AP Wagner, Angelo AES will be right with you

Angelo AES
Hello, This is Angelo how may i assist you today?

Dave
Hi. I'm thinking about buying this product, and it says it fits "most electric ranges except GE". Since I have a Frigidaire range, I'm guessing it will probably fit, correct? And if not, may I return it with no problems? here is the product Canning Element 81410610 Frigidaire : APWagner Appliance Parts Source

Angelo AES
If it states that it fits most units that it most likely fit but there are no guarantees if you purchase the item and install it it is no longer available to return.

Dave
If I try to install it, but it doesn't fit.... does that count as installing it? Since it was never actually installed...

Angelo AES
Yes is does count as it being installed because it was pulled out of the packaged and an install was attempted.

Dave
Weird. Okay I guess I will find another company to buy from. Thanks for your time.

Angelo AES
Thank you for visiting us today, is there anything else I can do for you?

Dave
Tell your boss that you need a better return policy. Have a nice day.

Angelo AES
Have a great day!

This thread is ancient, but I'm just wondering if anyone uses these now?

I had no problem getting to a full 5 gal boil last brew day, but Im worried about ruining the element on my crappy GE stove. One broke already (the support spot weld came apart) and I wasn't even brewing on that one, so I'm very hesitant to continue!

Latest posts

Back