Force Carb Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewlicious

Reaction score
This is my first force carbonation so I would like to run the situation past the pros on the board. I have a five gallon corny keg chilled to 40 degrees with the CO2 set to 35psi and hooked up to the OUT. It was hooked up today (Tuesday) at 9:00a.m. Tomorrow at about 12:00 pm I will dial it down to 18psi and leave it until Thursday evening at about 7:00 pm. I’m shooting for around 3.0 vols of CO2 per gallon. Have I done this right? And is this enough time for it to be ready this Thursday at 7:00 pm?

Thanks in advance

:rockin:

Sounds about right to me.
I set mine at 35 PSI for 36 hours. That usually gets me fully carb'd.
Then I drop the pressure to around 12 and leave it there for serving.

You nay want to test yours along the way (at 18 PSI) so as not to overcarb.

Just make sure when you're testing:
Kill the gas.
Release the excess gas out of the keg
Dial up the PSI to around 8-9 and pour.

Just to reiterate for impact, shut the gas off or disconnect, dial the pressure down, then fully purge the keg. If you don't do this, you might think you've overcarbed by the way the beer will shoot out of the faucet (I say beer, but I mean foam).

BierMuncher said:

Kill the gas.

I do the same. BM taught me well. Follow this and you'll be fine.

Brewlicious said:
This is my first force carbonation so I would like to run the situation past the pros on the board. I have a five gallon corny keg chilled to 40 degrees with the CO2 set to 35psi and hooked up to the OUT. It was hooked up today (Tuesday) at 9:00a.m. Tomorrow at about 12:00 pm I will dial it down to 18psi and leave it until Thursday evening at about 7:00 pm. I’m shooting for around 3.0 vols of CO2 per gallon. Have I done this right? And is this enough time for it to be ready this Thursday at 7:00 pm?

Thanks in advance

:rockin:
I have not done this before but why did you hook it up to the Out side? It might create a fair bit of foam.

Blender said:
I have not done this before but why did you hook it up to the Out side? It might create a fair bit of foam.
Yeah...I kind of overlooked this detail.

Some feel that hooking it up to the liquid line helps speed the process because you're "bubbling" in the CO2 from the bottom.

Reality is that unless you have an airstone hooked up, the bubbles are much too large to get absorbed before they rise to the top of the keg.

I'd forego the practice of hooking up to your out post.

In this case the guy is hooked up to the OUT side.

Question about the other method-the IN side. Is it true that you should disconnect your tap when force carbing, as it cannot handle the 35 psi and may burst?

BierMuncher said:

Kill the gas.
I started doing this too. I drop the temp to 35 F, and let sit at 30 psi for 2 days. Blow down keg, and set to 12 psi. Beer is carbonated nicely.

I used to shake, but I don't need my beer that quickly - plus I like to let it sit around for a couple of weeks after it's carbonated before I drink any.

Back