Valve for cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I drilled a hole in my 48q cube cooler intending to use Phil's Phalse Bottom, but the valve I bought was not long enough for the wide walls. Can anyone recommend a device for this 1" hole?

I can't give you much of a solution, sorry to say. What I can say though is I did this EXACT SAME THING. Took out the drill. Ended up buying another cooler and getting a Kewler Kit (after several hair pulling weeks I shoudl add).

1" deep i am assuming. there are a couple of fittings you can purchase. You can get a Kewler Kitz bulkhead. You can also get these fittings seperate from HD or Lowes. Stainless Steel 1/2" Close Nipple,Threaded basically looks like a short piece of pipe that is threaded. Go to this website and search for these numbers:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

4830K171 Stainless Steel 1/2" Close Nipple,Threaded
4464K214 Stainless full coupling, 1/2" pipe size

He said "1 inch hole" so I had assumed that he took out the drill like I did and thought to improve matters by drilling a hole 1 inch in diameter... could be wrong though...

Its the hole that is 1" in diameter. I bought a fitting at my LHBS that was made for this purpose with the original intention of adding it to a 6.5g bucket, but later decided to give it a try on the cooler. The threaded part of it is not long enough (perhaps only 1.25" long) to go through the cooler and allow the gasket and nut to thread. I spent some time poking around Home Depot but couldn't assemble anything that would work. I was hoping that some online retailer had a $25 device that would fit this, but I can't find one.

What about a 2" long piece of threaded brass stock? Screw the valve on one side and the gasket and retaining nut on the other. Then screw on the appropriate fitting to attach your false bottom.

Why look for a longer thread when you only need to seal accross the inner wall if you drill a clearance hole in the outer wall and the insulation. (I assume that is possible with the type of cooler you have, it's how I fitted a tap/faucet(valve) to my rectangular cooler)

Did you see the link?

It seals far better and is much more ridgid than a valve tightened up accross 2 walls with insulation inbetween.

Latest posts

Back