Beer Road Trip - San Francisco to San Diego, where should we stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveZJ

Reaction score
Planning on heading out there in February. Unbeknownst prior to planning this trip, we should be able to get our hands on some Pliny the Younger as it coincides with the release.

Plan is to fly into SFO, and meander our way down to San Diego stopping at various craft breweries along the way. Our list is composed pretty much of the bigger breweries so far, as I'm basing it off of what we have available here in CO.

Russian River
Anchor (more for the history than the beer)
Firestone Walker
The Bruery
Lost Abbey/Port
Stone
Alesmith
Ballast Point
Mission

Basically anything along the coast is fair game. I need to look through my GABF notes and see what else I can come up with. Even it's just to stop in for one great beer at a tiny hole in the wall brewery we're up for it. Thought about heading up to Sierra Nevada or North Coast, but they're just too far out of the way to make the trip work the way we want. I lived in CA for a few years as a kid and my wife has never really been there so we're throwing in some non-beer touristy stuff too.

As far as styles that we like, anything IPA, the hoppier the better. Sours, belgians, stouts, pales, anything weird.

Suggestions on additional places to go?

Magnolia for cask milds.
Laugunitas in Petaluma
21st Amendment
Heretic brewing

San Fran area is awesome for beer!

Don't forget Pizza Port, lot's of craft beers on tap there and A-mazing pizza, must have the beer buddies !!
But in San Diego County alone, you will honestly find one of the best craft areas around. Hell just in the Vista/San Marcos area where Lost Abbey is, you'll also have choice spots like Iron Fist (great variety)/Mother Earth (hop diggity dog !)/Indian Joe/ Belching Beaver/Aztec(very hoppy stuff herre too), Karl Strauss in Carlsbad area too or the actual brewery with tours in Caliremont/PB area. If you are going to be at Ballast Point in Mission Valley, you'll also have Mission Brewery/ Oggi's (ok..), here in Sorrento Valley where I work there is White Labs, Green Flash, and a few other micro brews. I'm just starting to name that I've been too.

Russian River is north of S.F. Both S.F. and West Oakland have world class taprooms. You won't want to miss The Trappist, Beer Revolution, Torinado, or The Monk's Kettle.

Alpine in East san diego is worth the trek if you like Hoppy Beers

Modern Times and Societe in San Diego are fairly new and produce some great brews as well

You have to stop by at woodfour in Sebastopol, and drake's brewery in San Leandro. In San Fransisco speakeasy, anchor, 21th amendment, and rouge pub house. Tornado is a great bar in San Fransisco that has a lot of good beers as well. Have fun!!!

Up north I would hit up sante adairius rustic ales(sara)..excellent brewey.

In the oc check out the Bruery..

Drink Alpine or go to bed! Fyi they are closed Sunday's. .

When we did a day brew tour in Southern California we hit:
Stone
Lost Abbey/Port Brewing
Ale Smith
Ballast Point
Mission
Coronado

In that order. It was a great trip.

Back