A lot of head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkwvu

Reaction score
Recently picked up home brewing again after a three year layoff. I currently have an IPA bottled which is very tasty. I also have an AHS Belgian white which I bottled last week. It tasted great when I was bottling it. I am impatient, so I tried one tonight. It has massive head on it. I basically poured two ounces and the rest of the glass is head. My question is will the head die down after a few more weeks of conditioning? If not what did I do wrong?

Did you open the Belgian White at room temp? That can cause a rush of the carbonation if so.

Otherwise, if the beer was cold, it might just be over-carbed. Throwing them on ice and then a very gentle pour should be all you need to keep the head in check.

This is all assuming though that you kept everything clean and sanitary. That is a horse of a different color.

That makes sense. I refrigerated it for about two hours, but it wasn't completely cold. I will let it bottle condition for a few more weeks and be sure to let it chill for a few days. Thanks for your help guys .

I figured the thread title would garner some attention. I would love to have the other head problem, but sadly I am married with two children, so those days are long gone.

Bottles need to rest at 70 degrees for 3wks. IPAs carb more quickly. After they need to be in the fridge at least a week to put the co2 in the beer. I've popped a few too early and had beers be mostly foam. There's a video about this around somewhere.

Bottles need to rest at 70 degrees for 3wks. IPAs carb more quickly. After they need to be in the fridge at least a week to put the co2 in the beer. I've popped a few too early and had beers be mostly foam. There's a video about this around somewhere.

Why do IPAs carb "more quickly"?

They don't need to be in the fridge for a week to get CO2 in the beer. While they carbonate at room temperature, CO2 goes into the beer. Yes, at cooler temperatures the beer will retain more CO2 in suspension, but you can still have a decently carb beer by placing the bottle in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Calder said:
Why do IPAs carb "more quickly"? They don't need to be in the fridge for a week to get CO2 in the beer. While they carbonate at room temperature, CO2 goes into the beer. Yes, at cooler temperatures the beer will retain more CO2 in suspension, but you can still have a decently carb beer by placing the bottle in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Hops give more head. Lol. Simple answer. You're right beers don't absolutely need to be in the fridge 1 week. But to to maximize co2 in the beer and to drop yeast in suspension or hop junk 1 week is a good amount of time to do that.

This is why you should leave beers alone. Should. Not have too. also why waste beer if you don't have too.

[ame]http://youtu.be/FlBlnTfZ2iw[/ame]

Back