New Crowns, New grower, probably an old question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Hey, alright. So I got my hop crowns today from Great Lakes hops, Beautiful big roots and I even got a Lucky Dog extra Chinook. So 1 Magnum, 1 Santiam and 1 Chinook(with about 5 shoots the longest being about 3 inches)

Any I have no intention of planting them outside anytime soon, Its 25 degrees out, so I have them in planters on my table. Sadly, I wont be able to plant them for a few weeks yet, could I keep them outside as long as I have a layer of soil over top of the crown? WIll they grow if outside in this awful Detroit weather

If I leave them inside and in the 2 gallon or so pots, will they grow completely amok? I know I am going to cut them back a bit for the 1st few weeks but I just dont want to crap their roots.

Ive never really messed around in the garden before, thats always been my wifes domain, but I am super excited about these!

Oh anyway, Should I keep them inside or outside in the cold, At what temp could I plant them and feel secure.

Thanks much, Im going to keep reading through the forum, I might just find the answer.

I think I saw on their facebook page to add some potting soil to the bag with the rice hulls (about 50:50 mix) and to keep them in an unheated garage (fridge if you have one big enough). Check on them once a week or so to make sure they don't completely dry out and plant when you can work the soil. Better to keep them 'dryer' than 'wetter' because being that they aren't growing, they really aren't using water, just enough to keep them from drying out. Check their page if you have a facebook account.

Latest posts

Back