Sanke D Coupler Type Preference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llaurel

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm new here, and I've read and searched these forums extensively. I would first like to thank everyone whose posts I've read. I am about to put in my keezer for commercial sixtels, and I seem to be having a bit of trouble with one component, the keg connectors. This question only relates to American Sanke D connectors. Does anyone have any preferences regarding the lever style vs. the half-twist-wings style vs. the low-profile style. Thanks in advance to all responders.

Larry

I personally don't have a preference, mine is a lever. There are things to consider with each
If clearance is an issue then the low profile would be the obvious choice. If you have a keg that you could place in the keezer/kegerator and check clearance you will need 5" to get the lever style or 1/4 turn style plus tubing to fit with little or no kinking.
The lever style also has to be screwed in by 1/4 turn and then engage the system by locking down the handle. I see no true advantage to this but I'm sure there is a purpose.
The top flow 1/4 turn style, I believe, is an older design of the lever type but I may be wrong.good luck.

I don't like the half twist or low profile ones very much. They just seem too easy to bump the wrong way and cause a leak. The low profile is obviously the only option in some cases, but if there's clearance I'd choose the lever style.

I've always been comfortable with the standard lever style coupler. I've been a bartender for many years so it's what I'm used to, but I;ve also never had any problems with it in my homebrew setup.

Lever style is the best. People tend to want to pick up & move a keg with the T style couplers and the handle is not designed for the weight & will break.

Only use the low-profile twist ones if space is an issue. The big lever ones are way easier to work with. Also, consider a 90 degree tailpiece, it helps keep things manageable.

Perlick makes Sanke D couplers that are really nice. If you're looking to buy new, I'd recommend them.

Back