brooklyn brew shop book of recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn

Reaction score
My SWMBO bought me a book: brooklyn brew show 52 seasonal beers. Several interesting ideas, has anyone tried any of these?

Hey I got this book as a gift and have been thumbing through the summer style recipes.

I think I might scale up from a one gallon recipe, but I don't have the equipment to do the usual 5 gallon recipe due to the extra amount of wort and cooling.

Some of the recipes definitely look interesting, though.

This would be my first all-grain brew, so I might start small.

How about you?

Yes, this will be my first all grain as well. I think I will try the small batch, then scale up if I like the results. Good luck, let me know which that you try and I will do the same.

I've done a bunch of recipes as well as kits from BBS. I really like them! So far I've done: Everyday IPA, Grapefruit Honey Ale, Coffee & Donut Stout, Jalapeno Saison Mild,
Simcoe IPA, Blackberry Red Ale, Peach Cobbler Ale. I've only done the one gallon batch size though. They have a FB page and respond to a lot of questions there.

kc1123 said:
I've done a bunch of recipes as well as kits from BBS. I really like them! So far I've done: Everyday IPA, Grapefruit Honey Ale, Coffee & Donut Stout, Jalapeno Saison Mild,
Simcoe IPA, Blackberry Red Ale, Peach Cobbler Ale. I've only done the one gallon batch size though. They have a FB page and respond to a lot of questions there.

Thanks, I will check it out. I grow blackberries, I'm going to try that one once they are ripe.

I saw the book for sale at Urban Outfitters next to a book of cat pictures and comics from The Oatmeal.
I have to admit, I'm dubious.

That said, I too would like to hear more about people's experiences with the recipes before I buy into it.

I brewed the Everyday IPA kit and liked it a lot. I also brewed the Grapefruit Honey Ale recently but it didn't turn out that great. I think it was a combination of adding more grapefruit zest after 3-4 days in primary and sucking up too much yeast when I bottled. Next time I bottle I won't rush it as much and get my wife to help with the whole process.

I saw the book for sale at Urban Outfitters next to a book of cat pictures and comics from The Oatmeal.
I have to admit, I'm dubious.

That said, I too would like to hear more about people's experiences with the recipes before I buy into it.

If you already know about brewing basics or have the means to do your own research without getting intimidated, then you won't care for the book. If you're a total n00b though, it's a decent starting point, especially if you don't mind staying small. They leave out a lot of information, so I wouldn't take the book as the be all, end all.

kc1123 said:
If you already know about brewing basics or have the means to do your own research without getting intimidated, then you won't care for the book. If you're a total n00b though, it's a decent starting point, especially if you don't mind staying small. They leave out a lot of information, so I wouldn't take the book as the be all, end all.

Agreed, the book was an unsolicited gift from my wife. I have brewed a few batches prior. The brew instruction they give is very basic. My interest with the book is only in the recipes.

corn said:
My SWMBO bought me a book: brooklyn brew show 52 seasonal beers. Several interesting ideas, has anyone tried any of these?

Same here. I've actually made 2 batches of the smoked cherry, AG 5g, turned out awesome. Its on my list of repeaters, for sure. Made the peach cobbler ale, AG 5g, awesome again.
As some have already said, it's not at all technical or deeply informative. But a great recipe book for those who already brew. Give it a shot. That smoked cherry is F'n amazing!

I know I am pulling this thread from the grave but could someone please post the recipe for their "Jalapeno Saison?" Thanks!

I know I am pulling this thread from the grave but could someone please post the recipe for their "Jalapeno Saison?" Thanks!

I found the recipe! I will post it when I get home. Thank you for anyone trying to dig up this book for me!

Just solo brewed my first beer using their everyday ipa kit. Fun, easy, and straightforward...... However, wish I would have read this section first . Lots of great tips here!

I found the recipe! I will post it when I get home.

Did you get lost?
noidea.gif

LOL - no big deal, I have ordered the book and should be receiving it by the end of the week! :mug:

I'm going to list two small batch books on the For Sale Forum.. BBS's Beer Making Book (52 recipes) as well as Bostwicks Beer Craft- 6-packs From Scratch if anyone is interested. I just need to take a couple of pictures to post. Half price if interested, pm me.

Back