Force Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilroy

Reaction score
Well - I't turned out that my attempt to naturally condition my hard cider in kegs did not go so well. Something about the poxy O-rings deciding not to seal. (I did pressure test them prior to filling them too - mutter)

Anyway, So onto force carbonating the stuff.

I got new O-rings, and set the regulator to 45psi and hooked up the hoses.
Great - I could hear the CO2 going in, local hbs said to Shake the kegs, I shook em, could hear even more CO2 going in.

Now I guess the question - how long to leave them at this pressure?
I want to dispense at 8-10 psi but if I turn the setting screw, i get cider squirting out of the release hole.
Should I blow off the pressure using the release valve then reconnect the hoses?

Will the cider in my regulator be a problem - how can I clean it out?

So many questions - I hope that you guys can help me :)

Thanks

Kilroy

Leave the kegs at 45 psi for about three days, then disconnect them and let them sit for another day in as cold a spot as you can find (about freezing). Then vent using the relief valve, re-connect the gas lines and dispense.

Cider isn't good for the regulator. There is a discussion on the boards about cleaning regulators, but I don't have the link. You might want to post that question seperately.

Thank you both for the advice -
I found that post on cleaning regulators too :)

Kilroy

You can hook up your keg at your chosen serving pressure and just leave it. The cider will carbonate just fine. No need to f*rt around with artifical high pressures and shaking kegs- it's just wasted effort.

In your case, it caused the cider to back up into your regulator and possibly damage it.:eek:

The ONLY time the overpressure and shake routine is of benefit is when you need something carbonated immediately and can't wait a day or two.

hmm okay - clean it out tonight then - when I get home.

Thanks

Back