First batch is undercarbed after 5 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screech

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my second batch tomorrow. It is a delirium tremens clone. It was expensive, so I want to try my best not to mess it up. My first batch was inconsistent from bottle to bottle as far as carbonation goes. About 80% of the bottles were undercarbed after being in the fermentor for 3 weeks and bottles for 5 weeks. I was wondering how some of you guys go about adding the priming sugar to the beer.

For my first batch I boiled sugar in water, then poured into the bottling bucket. I then racked into bottling bucket and then bottled from there. I did not stir.

Since my first batch was so inconsistent I was wondering what I should change to improve on my second batch. I have heard of some people just pouring a certain amount of sugar into each bottle. Or should I just use the same method I did for the first batch, but just stir the mixture to ensure the sugar gets into each bottle somewhat evenly?

Kevin

I am about to bottle my second batch tomorrow. It is a delirium tremens clone. It was expensive, so I want to try my best not to mess it up. My first batch was inconsistent from bottle to bottle as far as carbonation goes. About 80% of the bottles were undercarbed after being in the fermentor for 3 weeks and bottles for 5 weeks. I was wondering how some of you guys go about adding the priming sugar to the beer.

For my first batch I boiled sugar in water, then poured into the bottling bucket. I then racked into bottling bucket and then bottled from there. I did not stir.

Since my first batch was so inconsistent I was wondering what I should change to improve on my second batch. I have heard of some people just pouring a certain amount of sugar into each bottle. Or should I just use the same method I did for the first batch, but just stir the mixture to ensure the sugar gets into each bottle somewhat evenly?

Kevin

Some people on here say you dont need to stir I dont agree with that. I do the same as you and rack my beer on top of the priming solution. I always stir VERY gently. Never had any problem with carbing. Just give it a good gental stir to mix it all up

I also rack the beer on top of priming solution... and have also found some inconsistency in carbonation...

I am thinking a good gentle stirring with a long spoon for about a minute would do a lot of good.

I put the priming sugar in the bucket, then when I rack I have enough hose in the bottom of the bucket that it swirls as it fills the bucket and have not had any problems.

I always considered how well it mixed also.

I give it a gentle stir from the bottom up about
every 12 pack.

Never had a problem.

I put the priming sugar in the bucket, then when I rack I have enough hose in the bottom of the bucket that it swirls as it fills the bucket and have not had any problems.

This is exactly how I do it and I've never had a problem, the siphon action creates a strong swirl throughout the process and works great with no stirring.

How warm are you keeping the bottles? If you are below 70F it will take longer to carb. Also, bigger beers (above 1.060) will typically take longer to carb up as well.

I agree, either stir with spoon or let the flowing wort do it. As long as the mixing you do is gentle and doesn't agitate or froth it up you won't have too much to worry about.

Kevin

I had to do this recently (I'll spare you the details and myself the embarrassment). I added 1.5tsp of priming sugar to each 12oz bottle using a small, sanitized funnel to save mess. After adding the sugar to each bottle I capped it, inverted it gently and put it in the box.

I was just thinking about this, but I cold crash for about 2 days before bottling. When I do transfer the beer to the bottling bucket the beer is prob. around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Could this be why the priming sugar isn't mixing properly. This is similar to sweet tea where the sugar mixes much better if the tea is warmer. I guess because it has more energy. Should I wait until the beer warms back up to room temp., after cold crashing next time, before bottling?

Kevin

I was just thinking about this, but I cold crash for about 2 days before bottling. When I do transfer the beer to the bottling bucket the beer is prob. around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Could this be why the priming sugar isn't mixing properly. This is similar to sweet tea where the sugar mixes much better if the tea is warmer. I guess because it has more energy. Should I wait until the beer warms back up to room temp., after cold crashing next time, before bottling?

Kevin

The priming sugar should already be dissolved in some boiling water (and cooled) before you throw it in. If you're adding sugar to cold beer then I am not sure how well it will mix.

The priming sugar should already be dissolved in some boiling water (and cooled) before you throw it in. If you're adding sugar to cold beer then I am not sure how well it will mix.

Agreed. As others have said, a gentle stir and plenty of time in the bottles at the right temp should take care of everything.

I stirred my second batch, but I'm still waiting to see how they turned out. I'm just trying to fix the problem. So do you guys let your beer warm back up to room temperature after cold crashing before bottling?

Kevin

I stirred my second batch, but I'm still waiting to see how they turned out. I'm just trying to fix the problem. So do you guys let your beer warm back up to room temperature after cold crashing before bottling?

Kevin

So I would just say the problem is patience. Cold crashing really reduces the amount of yeast in each bottle. Due to that it will/can take longer for the beer to carb afterwards. You don't mention temp either. 3 weeks at 70 is the generally recommended minimum for carbing. If you are at a lower temp it's going to take longer. Last but not least higher gravity beers can take longer to carb. A matter of fact the higher the FG the longer you can expect it to take. Just be patient, let it rest in the bottles and test a bottle or two every two weeks. Also make sure you are giving the beer enough time in the fridge for it to actually absorb the CO2. I would say at least 48 hours for your test bottles and if you can be patient a week for the bulk. It will let the yeast cake in each bottle tighten up and give more than enough time for the CO2 in the headspace to absorb into solution.

Back