Gimp Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LabRatBrewer

Lost in a Maze
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am struggling with Gimp (its very confusing to me). I've manged to get close to what I want. Now I need to get this image scaled just a little so that I can fit at least four to a page. Scaling and getting multiple copies of the same image seem to be beyond my skills. Any tips would be great. Here is the image I have so far (I hope):

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/labrat_barley_label.bmp

I still have the same question as above, but I read the wiki and learned how to post the image so that it not a link:

labrat barley label.jpg

The brute force method that I would try is to create a new blank image (File/New) and set the image size to 8.5" x 11". Then copy/paste your image 4 times. The scaling is to fairly straight forward by going to (Image/Scale).
Nice label by the way!

Scaling the image in Gimp is pretty easy... When you have the image open you go to Image -> Scale Image -> and then select the desired size (print a couple of test copies). Let me know if you need more help.

Thank you all for the tips. I will try them. I need to find a better font for the name of the beers to go with the yellow lettering. I want to keep the label the same but change the name for each brew. (I only bottle a couple for each batch). Gimp seems very powerful, but the learning curve is tough (for me at least). @brewhacker, setting the image size before I open my imagine might be what I was missing. I'll check out Paint.net as well.

Cheers and thanks.

There is a simple scale tool in Gimp that's easy to use. You can google or YouTube search stuff and find lots of Gimp how-to's.

When it is time to print, I save as a .jpg file, convert at 100%, and then drop the jpg into a word doc with the page in landscape. You can copy/paste and resize the image in Word so you can get 4 or 6 on a page. If you are worried about ink running, print a page and go to Kinkos or something and get good color laser copies.

Oh, for fonts there are tons you can download. And YouTube has some nice Gimp Font effects tutorials.

I made this in gimp in a couple hrs, including the Smiley Face from scratch, all using YouTube vids to learn.
681e133e.jpg

I would think about some font changing in that label as you suggest but its a great start...and resize in GIMP, not word. Word will not preserve the quality of your image...but you definitely want some idea of how many you can fit on a page and how you are doing it.

Best bet is already stated...size from the start, but resizing is not that hard.

Latest posts

Back