Yeast Culture Trade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkDR

Reaction score
I'm starting to compile a yeast bank, and figured that an easy, cheap way to get some variety is to offer trades. Here's a quick copy of correct yeast culture shipping methodology:

http://brewery.org/library/yeast-faq.html#part_five said:
... I thought it worth mentioning that there is a cheaper alternative to agar slants for mailing strains, and it works just as well. We routinely send out laboratory strains on filter paper. Basically, you just put a drop of culture on a ~1 cm square piece of filter paper (probably any absorbent paper would do) and wrap the square in a piece of sterile foil. Then pop it into an envelope and send it off. When it gets to the other side, they drop the paper on a rich media plate, incubate for a day or so, and the yeast grow up. Then you streak for singles on another plate and you're set. I haven't rigorously determined the viability of cells dried on paper, but they are very stable. It works.

I can think of two possible disadvantages to this system. First, we use autoclaved paper and foil, and a surprising number of households STILL lack an autoclave. However, while commercial paper is probably not sterile, I imagine it is pretty close; the yeast are going to far outnumber anything else, and when you streak for singles you will get what you want. The foil you could always steam, but probably it would also be close enough to sterile for most people's purposes. The second drawback is that this method requires that you are set up to culture, and to streak for singles in particular. However, while this isn't absolutely necessary in the case of slants, it is certainly advisable. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there. Dave Rose Dept. of Cellular and Developmental Biology Harvard U.

Anyone interested in trading yeast? I wont have anything until next week, but I figured maybe others could benefit from a common place to offer up trades.

My batch is definitely a work in progress. Once I get things established, I'll gladly mail a few samples out if you don't have anything unique to offer in return. To avoid any customs issues, I'll only mail to USA or Canada.

Code:
My Available trades as of 6 November, 2011
  • WLP833 White Labs' German Bock Lager
  • 1332 Wyeast Labs' Northwest Ale
  • 1450 Wyeast Labs' Denny's Favorite 50
  • 1764 Wyeast Labs' ROGUE Pacman
  • 1968 Wyeast Labs' London ESB
  • 2035 Wyeast Labs' American Lager
  • 2206 Wyeast Labs' Bavarian Lager
  • 3056 Wyeast Labs' Bavarian Wheat Blend (Experimental on slants...)
  • 3538 Wyeast Labs' Leuven Pale Ale
  • 3942 Wyeast Labs' Belgian Wheat
  • 4347 Wyeast Labs' Eau de Vie™
  • Ommegang

ive got the yeast from the flying fish exit 4 american triple but thats all ive got havent done yeast snatching in a while

Sounds good you two. Anyone else have yeast cultures to offer?

I'd like to do a trade. I don't have a complete list of my library with me at the moment, but I know for sure that I have:
Wy1010
Wy1272
Wy1214
Wy1332
Ommegang Strain

I'd be interested in acquiring the WL833 and Wy1764.
I am also on the lookout for Wy3725 (Bier de Garde) and Wy3864 (Canadian/Belgian Ale).

I have:

WLP001 - California Ale
WLP565 - Belgian Saison
WLP670 - American Farmhouse
WLP645 - Brett C
Wyeast 3789-PC - Trappist Blend

Well, I've sent a lot of PMs this week about what people have listed. Can't wait to get the trade going!

List your yeast and let's all share :)

PS: I'm capturing some wild yeast ATM. Maybe we can get going on our own yeast strains? Going to be playing with it a good bit in the lab. Maybe it'll be somethin good, but probably not.

Bump, bump, buuuuuump!

Edit: I'm getting ready to send my first cultures out next week, so if you're interested, you better speak up!

I've got a starter of 1764 Wyeast Labs' ROGUE Pacman going right now; I intend to mail cultures tomorrow. If you want it, PM me your address with what you have, and we can make a trade.

Well, I've got the Rogue Pacman ready to mail tomorrow. Already made two deals, anyone else have something to offer for it?

;)

DrinkDR, yours is in the mail. Here's what I have in case anyone else wants to trade.

W1338 Euro Ale
W3724 Belgian Saison
W1388 Belgian Strong
Nottingham Ale
Red Hook Wit isolate (likely Kolsch bottling strain)
W1728 Scottish Ale
W2565 Kolsch
W1272 American Ale II
Safale-04
Saflager S-23
W1084 Irish Ale

I'm pretty open, mainly looking for obscure, high flavor profile strains. Never had much luck with commercial bottle isolates, too much mystery around fermenting/bottling strains. Scratch that, I'm a yeast freak, I'll take about anything...

Just got my first two of Pacman sent out in the mail, have 1 more ready to ship, just need an address! Nobody else interested and ready to go?

Lab Number Strain Brewery

WYEAST 1010 American Wheat Widmer vis Zum Uerige
WYEAST 1028 London Ale Worthington White Shield
WYEAST 1056 American Ale Sierra Nevada (Seibel 96)
WYEAST 1084 Irish Ale Guiness
WYEAST 1098 British Ale Whitbread (Dry)
WYEAST 1099 Whitbread Ale Whitbread
WYEAST 1187 Ringwood Ale Pripps Brewery, Sweden
WYEAST 1214 Belgian Abbey Chimay
WYEAST 1272 American Ale II Anchor Liberty
WYEAST 1318 London Ale III Boddingtons
WYEAST 1332 Northwest Ale Hales Brewery in Seattle via Gales Brewery UK
WYEAST 1335 British Ale II
WYEAST 1338 European Ale Wisenschaftliche Station #338 (Munich)
WYEAST 1388 Belgian Strong Ale Duvel (Moortgart) via McEwans
WYEAST 1450 Denny’s Favorite 50 Brewtek CL50 (Pacman)
WYEAST 1469-PC West Yorkshire Ale Timothy Taylor
WYEAST 1728 Scottish Ale McEwans
WYEAST 1762 Belgian Abbey II Rochefort
WYEAST 1768-PC English Special Bitter Youngs Brewery
WYEAST 1968 London ESB Ale Fullers
WYEAST 2000 Budvar Lager Budvar
WYEAST 2001 Urquell Lager Pilsner Urquell Lager H-Strain
WYEAST 2278 Czech Pils Pilsner Urquell-D
WYEAST 2565 Kolsch Weihenstephan 165
WYEAST 3655-PC Belgian Schelde Ale
WYEAST 3726-PC Farmhouse Ale Blaugies, Belgium
WYEAST 3944 Belgian Witbier Hoegaarden

What I'm after

As pure as possible set of Brew Tek yeast.

I was hoping there was a recent thread about this. I recently won a contest at my homebrewer's club meeting and got four free smack packs. I am in the process of building these up as starters, after which I would store the yeast in 22 mL vials ready to freeze. Assuming 50% viability after freezing, these vials would be suitable for starters up to and exceeding 1 gallon. I'd be happy to send these out in exchange for some other varieties. The four I have are:

WY - 3724 Belgian Saison
WY - 3924 Belgian Wheat
WY - 1335 British Ale II
WY - 1084 Irish Ale

I am brewing a doppelbock and alt soon and as such would love to have a Bavarian lager yeast and WY - 1007. I would also be interested in any Brett cultures or the Old Ale blend for my personal stash.

You dont need to build a starter. Just freeze the smack packs in 7ml yeast 5ml glycerol.

I expect you'll get higher than 50% viability and should be able to setup up to any size starter you desire.

You dont need to build a starter. Just freeze the smack packs in 7ml yeast 5ml glycerol.

I expect you'll get higher than 50% viability and should be able to setup up to any size starter you desire.

I should have been more specific, these were actually Wyeast propogator packs. They are roughly 1/4 the size of regular smack packs. I wanted to build them up a bit to make sure I had enough yeast to fill at least four 22 mL vials each (with some glycerol, of course).

Reviving an old thread...I'm interested in trading yeast if possible. My list:
- WY-1068 - Chico Yeast
- S-04 - English Ale
- WY-3068 - Weinhestephan Wheat Yeast
- WLP833 - German Bock/Maerzen
- WLP810 - Cali Lager
- Belgian Wit - Cultured From Cisco's Gray Lady
- Pacman - Cultured From Dead Guy Ale
- Lavlin - Cote du Rhone

All first generation, plated. I'm looking for an Alt yeast and a yeast for a lager yeast for a vienna.
Thanks! Adam

I'm looking for a flavorful yeast to brew a 1.080-1.090 RIS that will leave me in the 1.012 to 1.018 range

At the moment I have white labs Brett B (wlp650) and Brett B Trois (wlp644)

Anyone want to trade?

Im not sure if this is the thread for this, but ill give it a try.

I want to trade wild yeasts with someone. I recently found some yard yeast that has a super strong Brett scent and flavor. Its good but not the bugs i was looking for. I think some folks would love this for its properties. I was hoping to trade with someone for a interesting wild caught sacc yeast with less of an "in your face" profile. I have been hunting for one for a while. If anyone would like to swap wild yeast please PM me!

Thanks!

Edit: Or is all wild yeast Brett? i was hoping for something not so...potent...

DrinkDR, yours is in the mail. Here's what I have in case anyone else wants to trade.

W1338 Euro Ale
W3724 Belgian Saison
W1388 Belgian Strong
Nottingham Ale
Red Hook Wit isolate (likely Kolsch bottling strain)
W1728 Scottish Ale
W2565 Kolsch
W1272 American Ale II
Safale-04
Saflager S-23
W1084 Irish Ale

I'm pretty open, mainly looking for obscure, high flavor profile strains. Never had much luck with commercial bottle isolates, too much mystery around fermenting/bottling strains. Scratch that, I'm a yeast freak, I'll take about anything...

Hi Poppincaps, I know this thread is a little old, butI'm interested in a trade if I have anything you may be interested in. It's not much, but here is what I have so far:

Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood
Wyeast 4021 Pasteur Champagne
WLP007 Dry English Ale
WLP099 High Gravity Yeast

I thought I would revive this old thread now that I'm getting back into culturing and experimenting with new strains, see if anyone was again up for trading some yeast. If you haven't mailed paper-dried yeast before, it's really easy and surprisingly effective to get strains that maybe you can't get locally for a decent price or ones that are discontinued or seasonal.

Here are some more detailed instructions:

http://suigenerisbrewing.blogspot.ca/2013/04/mailing-yeast.html#A1
http://suigenerisbrewing.blogspot.com/2013/08/mailing-yeast-part-ii.html

Here is my list of frozen stocks, if anyone wants to do some trades and throw the USPS some business, post your list up and we'll get something going.

Lallemand Nottingham Ale
Fermentis Safale-04 (English Ale)
Fermentis Saflager S-23 (Lager)
W'Yeast 1056 (American Ale)
W'Yeast 1084 (Irish Ale)
W'Yeast 1272 (American Ale II)
W'Yeast 1338 (European Ale)
W'Yeast 1388 (Belgian Strong Ale)
W'Yeast 1728 (Scottish Ale)
W'Yeast 1764 (Rogue Pacman)
W'Yeast 1968 (London ESB)
W'Yeast 2007 (Pilsen Lager)
W'Yeast 2042 (Danish Lager)
W'Yeast 2278 (Czech Pilsner)
W'Yeast 2487 (Hella Bock)
W'Yeast 2565 (Kolsch)
W'Yeast 2633 (Oktoberfest)
W'Yeast 3068 (Weihenstephan German Hefeweizen)
W'Yeast 3463 (Forbidden Fruit)
W'Yeast 3724 (Belgian Saison)

I currently have the following:

Nottingham
US-05
GY054 Conan
WLP565 Saison Ale
WLP590 French Saison
WLP940 Mexican Lager
WY1764 Pacman
WY3463 Forbidden Fruit
WY3787 Trappist High Gravity
Yeast harvested from Prairie Americana (Farmhouse bottle conditioned with Brett)
Yeast harvested from Pranqster

Maybe the hefeweizen and Belgian saison?
I'd say kolsch but idk if I'm ready to go there haha

wow I find this method of shipping yeast so interesting!!
I've decided to start banking yeast, I have a couple brews coming up and will try agar and also freezing...

It sounds like a great way to quickly grow a collection..
Just a few question?
once prepped for shipping, how long do the yeast seem viable for?
Have you seen much infection in samples?
I always thought most of the "liquid" style yeasts were sensitive of being dried out, thus they don't come in dry packets....

I wish I had something to trade... maybe in the near future!!

Cheers!!

Acarter sent me some strains from OK to NC, so I'll let you know how they come out, good week of shipping time. I haven't had a batch that didn't work out, they're tougher than we give them credit for. Albeit I start these cultures from a few colonies on an agar plate to reduce any bugs that might have come along instead of just throwing the paper into some wort.

I'm pretty sure you can dry any yeast, it's just a complicated process of reducing water in a very controlled manner. This method here kills your viability, but all you need is one cell. Usually they're still very much alive.

I threw the samples I got from poppincaps in a small amount of starter wort and they've all taken off nicely and smell how I would expect them to smell given the yeast strains received. Overall I would call the trade a success.

Nice , can't wait to give this a whirl!! I have 60mm petri dishes, a little small but worth a go..

I'm going to freeze 6 samples of each in 50ml tubes...
This was my simplest route...
But there are so many variations on this....

I threw the samples I got from poppincaps in a small amount of starter wort and they've all taken off nicely and smell how I would expect them to smell given the yeast strains received. Overall I would call the trade a success.

Indeed it was, had 5 vials of each frozen down within 4 days of checking the mail. Highly successful.

Decant beer, split slurry to several vials, add sterilized glycerine to final concentration of 10%, mix and freeze. Good for a few years at least.

Make a starter wort, unthaw vial quickly and add slurry to starter.

oh do you also add the glycerine mix to the vial and then sterilize in pressure canner?

I put the vial in a glass of lukewarm water to thaw just before pitching to the starter. I make a stock canned solution of 45% glycerine and pressure cook it. Then add 3 ml of that to 10ml of slurry whenever I need it. That brings it down to about 10-11% final conc. You certainly could sterilize each vial with the glycerine already in it so it's ready to go.

I'm going to be prepping some samples for a member on here in the next week or two. Is anyone interested in trading for any of the strains listed above?

Back