Pumpkin Pie Mead Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonMike

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to do a pumpkin pie flavored mead. I've read some great recipes on here and some great discussion about it. However, I am curious when making a pumpkin pie mead if you really need to add pumpkin. Many beers that are deemed "pumpkin" beers simply add the pie spices (cinn., allspice, clove, nutmeg) and often taste the same. Does the pumpkin actually add all that much flavor? I'm curious what the difference would be between a recipe with pumpkin puree plus spices versus just the spices. Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike

No, it's not necessary, especially if you're just looking for that pumpkin spice flavor. But, if you want a real pumpkin flavor, I would recommend it; adds a fuller mouthfeel in the mead (and in beers too; some beers you can really tell they used pumpkin and not just spice). I'd also recommend including some sweet potato, which helps develop that "pumpkin" flavor.

the good pumpkin ales DO have pumpkin in them. its a starch, and if you toast it a little first, you'll get some flavor and even a little fermentable sugar out of it.

but you're right that its more the spices that are recognized as the 'pumpkin pie flavor', so you would be able to do something.

I did the pumpkin pie mead in the pumpkin as the primary fermenter. It turned out great. The pumpkin wall inside turned white. I transferred the liquid out and into a 1 gallon glass fermenter with airlock. I mixed up 2 pounds of honey and 4 cups water, simmered with a cinnamon stick, 2 cloves and half teaspoon of allspice. Let it cool, poured into the one gallon with the pumpkin pie mead. It bubbled quite a lot the first 3 weeks, then settled down. It is true that the pumpkin gives the mead a smooth, almost buttery mouthfeel. I like the idea of toasting the pumpkin for the next time I decide to make it!

LadySibylla said:
I did the pumpkin pie mead in the pumpkin as the primary fermenter. It turned out great. The pumpkin wall inside turned white. I transferred the liquid out and into a 1 gallon glass fermenter with airlock. I mixed up 2 pounds of honey and 4 cups water, simmered with a cinnamon stick, 2 cloves and half teaspoon of allspice. Let it cool, poured into the one gallon with the pumpkin pie mead. It bubbled quite a lot the first 3 weeks, then settled down. It is true that the pumpkin gives the mead a smooth, almost buttery mouthfeel. I like the idea of toasting the pumpkin for the next time I decide to make it!

Do you have a link for the process on this?

Do you have a link for the process on this?

Get you a large pumpkin.
307673_305468226137133_258293964187893_1426590_1671252248_n.jpg

Cut your top at an angle so it has something to rest upon when you put it back on. Completely de-seed it. GET ALL OF THEM OUT, but leave the stringy stuff in)

Fill full of water (till it's over flowing), crush two campden tablets and put into water. Let sit for about 2 hours.

While your letting it sit, mix up your must. I did 3.5 quarts of honey and one full gallon of water, with 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice (nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and a couple others).

Once your done sulfiting (campden tablets) the inside, dump it out. get as much water out as you can. Then pour in your must. Put your top back on it and seal with parafin.

Use a cork screw to drill your airlock whole. make sure you get one that's long enough to get all the way through the shell.

305762_305468282803794_258293964187893_1426591_2070951426_n.jpg

let sit for NO LONGER THAN 10 days

317627_309216762428946_258293964187893_1440991_400975504_n.jpg

Now that is cool but I like batches of about 5-6 gal for mead. So I just get 3-5 Pumpkin Pie Pumpkins (much smaller and more flavorful, it's what they make pumpkin pies with) then cook it in the oven for 1/2 hr at 350. Scrape the pumpkin out of the skins and put that in a mesh bag in a brew bucket. Then rack from the primary to the secondary onto the pumpkin. Also it is recomended that you put in 1-2 sweet potatoes to enhance the flavor.

From what I understand the jack-o-lantern type of pumpkins don't contribuite much for flavor. I suppose using the Jack-o-lantern as a fermentor would be just simply making sure you have a lot of contact with it and would contribuite to a great mouth feel. I personally wish to have a more controled way of doing it. Less chance of spoilage and I don't have to seal a pumpkin with wax.

Ofcourse I was thinking on doing the pumpkin fermentor for holloween one year. Just set it up so the primary is going while you have trick or treaters. Just imagin a drawn pumpkin face with two airlocks sticking out and bubbling to give it a freaky look. Heh.

Matrix

Now that is cool but I like batches of about 5-6 gal for mead. So I just get 3-5 Pumpkin Pie Pumpkins (much smaller and more flavorful, it's what they make pumpkin pies with) then cook it in the oven for 1/2 hr at 350. Scrape the pumpkin out of the skins and put that in a mesh bag in a brew bucket. Then rack from the primary to the secondary onto the pumpkin. Also it is recomended that you put in 1-2 sweet potatoes to enhance the flavor.

From what I understand the jack-o-lantern type of pumpkins don't contribuite much for flavor. I suppose using the Jack-o-lantern as a fermentor would be just simply making sure you have a lot of contact with it and would contribuite to a great mouth feel. I personally wish to have a more controled way of doing it. Less chance of spoilage and I don't have to seal a pumpkin with wax.

Ofcourse I was thinking on doing the pumpkin fermentor for holloween one year. Just set it up so the primary is going while you have trick or treaters. Just imagin a drawn pumpkin face with two airlocks sticking out and bubbling to give it a freaky look. Heh.

Matrix

i actually did it both ways. Both are in secondaries atm. the original idea came from a chap that has been doing it for about 15 years....

Looking to do this today, and my pumpkin has sprung a small leak on the bottom. Think chopping it up, roasting with brown sugar and tossing it in the primary would be a good idea?

STLExpat said:
Looking to do this today, and my pumpkin has sprung a small leak on the bottom. Think chopping it up, roasting with brown sugar and tossing it in the primary would be a good idea?

Seal it with wax!!

The purée won't be a problem later? Could I just tie it in a muslin bag and stuff it in the fermenter so when I rack it isn't floating everywhere?

You can't restrain puree.

If you don't puree in a fine manor you may be able to seperate some of the pulp. Just put it in a mesh bag then take out and strain it out. should be fine. The puree will take up some volume out of it when it settles out though. I have the same problem with very fluffy red raspberries.

Matrix

I've got a pumpkin cyser going and the pumpkin puree sank to the bottom in a month. I like the idea of the spices and fruit or puree being loose so it has more interaction with the must. Something that worked for me when the pumpkin pulp started blowing out the airlock was to sterilize a long thin instrument( I used a stainless long spoon handle) and with small circular motions create a hole down through the center of the fruit cap and even if it doesn't create a true hole it will create a weak spot where the gas can escape and keep it from blowing the fruit out of the airlock.

Interested.:mug: Im battleing between doing a JAOM or maybe a pumpkin mead for my second mead myself.Not shure how I would want to go about adding the pumpkin-just bake and add to secondary?Or what yeast to keep it sweet. I disagree what alot of others seem tothink about actual pumpkin, it certainly contributes color and some texture/mouthfeel and a bit of flavor-character . Also as far as pumpkin beers I think the better ones are the ones made with it,however there are still some good ones without it and just spiced.

Interested.:mug: Im battleing between doing a JAOM or maybe a pumpkin mead for my second mead myself.Not shure how I would want to go about adding the pumpkin-just bake and add to secondary?Or what yeast to keep it sweet. I disagree what alot of others seem tothink about actual pumpkin, it certainly contributes color and some texture/mouthfeel and a bit of flavor-character . Also as far as pumpkin beers I think the better ones are the ones made with it,however there are still some good ones without it and just spiced.

Pumpkin JAOV, good thinking! :mug:

Okay. So I, also, am trying my hand at a pumpkin (not pie) flavoured mead. For a 1 gallon trial, I've primaried 3# honey with 2 quarts (right at 2.5#) canned pumpkin from the garden- baked at 400°F for about 45 minutes. Using dear old D47. First day in primary and the lock is belching pretty happily. Pulled the lid to beat the cap down and the aroma just about got Mrs and I bit tipsy. Very nice!

Back