accidentally heated my yeast, should I throw it out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjacki

Reaction score
Long story short I was distracted by my 2 yr old while making beer from a kit.

I heated the can of malt extract syrup with the packet of dry yeast still on top. The yeast packet was never immersed. The whole process was maybe about 15 minutes and I turned it off right before it reached a boil. THat was when I noticed my mistake.

Should I try and use the packet, or just toss it?

It wouldn't hurt to try it, and if it doesn't start fermentation within 2 days, then just pitch more yeast

You are going to reconstitute it in water 30 minutes before pitching, right? You'll know. It should be OK.

Definitely mix it with warm water before pitching it and if you see/smell any activity you are good to go. The issue here being that if your yeast is shot you will have wort with no yeast to pitch...so you may want to get another packet of yeast to have as a backup on hand either way. It is always good to have extra yeast around if things don't go to plan.

so I pitched and no activity so far after about 12 hours. Not terribly unusual.

THe problem my LHBS is closed on sundays so the earliest I could get more yeast would be tomorrow anyways.

I have wine yeast....is that a terrible idea?

I would let it sit overnight and then hit up your LHBS for another packet, but you want to give the yeast 72 hours minimum to see if it is active. If the heat killed off part of the yeast it may take longer than normal to show signs of fermentation as it reproduces. Can always just toss in another packet of the same yeast too, but you might run the risk of overpitching that way.

A little stress on your yeast produces some of the flavors as it reproduces, so overpitching can sap some of the flavor from your beer. That being said overpitching is better than no fermentation. If you want to be cautious, you could just pitch half a packet of dry yeast, still plenty to ferment if your original yeast is dead, and it will reduce the chance of overpitching. Or you could just pitch a full packet, and chalk this batch up to a learning experience, and potentially not have optimal beer, but it will still be beer!

Back