It worked, but now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipajay

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA the other night and in the process has a Double Simcoe IPA. There was yeast sediment at the bottom the bottle so I decided to dump it into a sanitized 1 gal. jug with two cups of wort not expecting much but interested in my little experiment. Well, its slowly bubbling and I have a growing yeast layer on the bottom of the jug. (jug is airlocked) Now what? I am confident it is sanitary, this is good. But, how can I best use this if at all? What should I take into consideration if I wanted to use it?

Do you want to save it for later or use it now?

If you want to use it within the next couple of days, step up the starter (add more wort).

If you want to use it in the next week or so, put an airlock or foil on it and put it in the fridge, then make a starter with it the day before you're ready to use it.

If you want to save it and use it more than a week from now, put it in the refrigerator and let the yeast settle (24 hours or so), then pour off the beer and replace it with boiled and cooled water, seal, and refrigerate. (This deprives the yeast of oxygen and they'll keep longer.) Then make a starter with it when you're ready to use it.

If you want to save it and use it more than a week from now, put it in the refrigerator and let the yeast settle (24 hours or so), then pour off the beer and replace it with boiled and cooled water, seal, and refrigerate. (This deprives the yeast of oxygen and they'll keep longer.) Then make a starter with it when you're ready to use it.

How long will that be good for? I'm definitely going to start harvesting yeast.

If you keep everything sanitary and store it under boiled and cooled water... months. Over a year.

Thank you, great information which i will research further. Thanks again for getting me started.

Back