Good Eats Good Brew (Modified)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
BTW, this was loosely based on the Good Eats recipe with some input from my LHBS.

Ingredients:

3.3 lbs briess dark malt extract - liquid
4 lbs amber malt extract - dry
.5 lbs 40l crystal grain steeped 30 minutes

1oz cascade hops 60 mins
1oz kent golding hops 60 mins
1oz kent golding hops 15 mins

All this was done in a 3 gallon batch in a 20 quart pot with water and ice being added to get things to 5 gallons in the bucket.

Pitched pale ale yeast at 88 degree (it was getting late)

Initial gravity was 1.054

All fermentation happened at about 68 - 72 degrees.

Bottling info:

Was going to use 5 oz of priming sugar for bottling, but ended up using 6 oz light DME for priming in bottles. 1 day in the bottles already have a bit of sediment in the bottoms.

Keeping at a temp above 70 to promote carbonation.

I saw that episode. I liked it, personally. I know many on this forum say that it was a bad show, but I saw it before I knew anything about brewing.
Anyway, The color he acheived on this was awsome. I would love to make this beer and be able to poor that color into a glass. The only thing that concerns me is the hops. I'm not a big hoppy person. Any suggestions on lowering the hops or on a similar beer? Anyone's comment are appreciated.

I saw that show recently and couldn't believe was I was seeing. Did he really boil his specialty grains?

I saw that episode. I liked it, personally. I know many on this forum say that it was a bad show, but I saw it before I knew anything about brewing.
Anyway, The color he acheived on this was awsome. I would love to make this beer and be able to poor that color into a glass. The only thing that concerns me is the hops. I'm not a big hoppy person. Any suggestions on lowering the hops or on a similar beer? Anyone's comment are appreciated.

Yeah, I know. But that's besides the point. I'm wondering if anybody around here has done his (Alton Brown's) (or lucasszy's)recipe and if they achieved the same looking product and how they liked it. As well as the above questions.

I love Alton's show but that episode irritates me beyond anything.
I seriously doubt that the beer he poured at the end was the beer from the show nor beer he actually made himself. :eek:

I love Alton's show but that episode irritates me beyond anything.
I seriously doubt that the beer he poured at the end was the beer from the show nor beer he actually made himself. :eek:

of course it wasn't. the entire episodes are filmed over at most a handful of days, but more than likely in a single day. the majority of the actual cooking on all cooking shows is done behind the scenes by a team of chefs, who then swap out each stage of the recipe throughout the show. chances are that entire show was filmed on one day. the prep chefs would have made the beer weeks before hand, or just re-bottled a commercial beer.

No offense to any of the above commenters but, now that we have all decided that Alton Brown does not know how to brew beer, does anyone have any input on the above recipe? Anyone's input is well appreciated.

Sorry! I think it will be a tasty brew. I would probably use light DME and get the color from crystal but I've made some really nice brews with amber LME and DME.

Love the hop choice.

The only other thing I would say is leave it longer than 8 days before bottling. Everything about the beer will be better and much less risk of bombs.

Back