I was bored...so I built a brewery!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damnit man! I would love to see this in person! Love it, keep up the good work and happy brewing!

Damnit man! I would love to see this in person! Love it, keep up the good work and happy brewing!

You can...if you live in Southern California. I live on Camp Pendleton ...the Marine Corps Base there. Semper Fi

Guvnorlecappere said:
You can...if you live in Southern California. I live on Camp Pendleton ...the Marine Corps Base there. Semper Fi

That's funny I moved from SoCal a year and a half ago... My adult children and my nephew still live there and I will be visiting for the birth of my daughters baby in a little over a week! My nephew is a marine stationed on Pendleton...

That's funny I moved from SoCal a year and a half ago... My adult children and my nephew still live there and I will be visiting for the birth of my daughters baby in a little over a week! My nephew is a marine stationed on Pendleton...

I retire in about 2-4 years (still trying to figure that out because the boys will be in high school). Don't want to move than again until they finish. You are more than welcome to contact me and stop by. I'd love to get some ideas from you and have a beer thou for sure. :mug:

Guvnorlecappere said:
I retire in about 2-4 years (still trying to figure that out because the boys will be in high school). Don't want to move than again until they finish. You are more than welcome to contact me and stop by. I'd love to get some ideas from you and have a beer thou for sure. :mug:

Definitely! :-D

It worked out! Now I have to purchase the other pump and wire the lights/switches....and it's brew time. I'm about 4 days behind schedule. Not to bad for a off the cuff build.

2013-04-04 16.25.54.jpg

Really awesome build! Personally, I'd have gone with a dark patina for the hop iron work to match all of the other dark iron. But it looks good painted green too.

So tonight I wired in the pumps.

I wanted to keep the ship theme going soooooo...

-When I fire up the left pump (#1) the red light (Port Side) turns on.

-When I fire up the right pump (#2) the green light (Starboard Side) turns on.

Call me crazy but I just might have to see it this ship can float some beer real soon. I have never had so much fun in a project. My wife wants me to hurry up so she can help me brew...I say that but she's the only reason I still bottle. She enjoys filling up the bottles...what a great woman!

I need to put all the equipment and stuff into my BeerSmith2 program next. I'm new to the all grain so what should I be looking for and what's your thoughts on the system?

I live on base here at Camp Pendleton Ca. I want to get the water profile Ph levels worked out to so I need to test the water or call the water company for this information?

I have 10 gal pots so can I push the system to 15 gals kind of like extract brewing? Add extra water in the end as long as my sugars/gravity allows it?

I have read alot of information of the forums but I'd think that each system has it on differences or is it basic numbers and science?

You guys have been awesome and I enjoy the replys always...thanks again for the help both direct or indirectly.

Travis

I have 10 gal pots so can I push the system to 15 gals kind of like extract brewing? Add extra water in the end as long as my sugars/gravity allows it?

No, unfortunately. If you have a 10 gallon boil kettle, you can do about 7 gallon batches, tops.

Guvnorlecappere said:
So tonight I wired in the pumps.

I wanted to keep the ship theme going soooooo...

-When I fire up the left pump (#1) the red light (Port Side) turns on.

-When I fire up the right pump (#2) the green light (Starboard Side) turns on.

Call me crazy but I just might have to see it this ship can float some beer real soon. I have never had so much fun in a project. My wife wants me to hurry up so she can help me brew...I say that but she's the only reason I still bottle. She enjoys filling up the bottles...what a great woman!

I need to put all the equipment and stuff into my BeerSmith2 program next. I'm new to the all grain so what should I be looking for and what's your thoughts on the system?

I live on base here at Camp Pendleton Ca. I want to get the water profile Ph levels worked out to so I need to test the water or call the water company for this information?

I have read alot of information of the forums but I'd think that each system has it on differences or is it basic numbers and science?

You guys have been awesome and I enjoy the replys always...thanks again for the help both direct or indirectly.

Travis

For your ph question you can get a ph testing kit at Home Depot

Jaysus!!! Great job on the build! I'm coming off two years in an apartment in Belize and am stuck in a condo in Washington DC.

I miss my old work shop. :-(

Know you will get some great beer outta that!

I tested my water via kit from Lowes...thanks for the help there. It all looks good on that end. I went with the san Diego water profile in BeerSmith2 (I'm in Oceanside area) and here's the link for the kit.

PURTEST HOME WATER ANALYSIS KIT

http://www.todayshealthyhome.com/purtest_water_test_kits.htm#.UWGmp1fuzKc

The PurTest HOME WATER ANALYSIS KIT contains:
1 Bacteria test*
1 Pesticide test*
2 Nitrate tests*
2 Nitrite tests*
2 Iron tests*
2 Hardness tests*
2 Chlorine tests*
2 Copper tests*
2 Alkalinity tests*
2 pH tests*
1 Lead test*
1 Water Test Results Chart*
FREE: 1 Basic Water Knowledge Information Book

2013-04-06 17.42.10.jpg

2013-04-06 17.50.00.jpg

2013-04-06 17.50.16.jpg

2013-04-06 17.54.32.jpg

Guvnorlecappere said:

Travis I will be on Pendleton today if we can get together... Nine 51 2 three 6 nine 993

I have been reading through numerous web sites since I started home brewing. HB Talk is by far the most informative. With switching to all-grain brews, I have been looking for a brew stand setup. Being a DIY type of person, a part of this hobby that I enjoy is the building of the equipment for brewing better beer with each addition. I have been searching for my first brew stand for several months now, and when I came across Travis's Dead Reckoning Brewer, I knew this was a brilliant piece of craftsmanship. I've heard that imitation ii the best form of a complement. I hope you don't mind. Thanks Rusty

image-3187575362.jpg

Travis, seriously nice work, but I gotta ask...vinyl hoses?? Why no silicone?

I have been reading through numerous web sites since I started home brewing. HB Talk is by far the most informative. With switching to all-grain brews, I have been looking for a brew stand setup. Being a DIY type of person, a part of this hobby that I enjoy is the building of the equipment for brewing better beer with each addition. I have been searching for my first brew stand for several months now, and when I came across Travis's Dead Reckoning Brewer, I knew this was a brilliant piece of craftsmanship. I've heard that imitation ii the best form of a complement. I hope you don't mind. Thanks Rusty

Oh very cool...I looked around as well and finally pieced together my thoughts. I like it!!

"Plagiarize, plagiarize, let no information evade my eyes!" Nothing wrong with that quote when making brew stands...lol

I'm going to change to silicone but I had most of the hose I used so I just went with it. What's the pro/cons to silicone?

You can simply boil silicone hoses (throw them in kettle of water and boil) to sanitize/clean. They don't impart anything whatsoever to the beer, especially during hot transfers. Take a vinyl hose and steep it in a hot pot for 5 minutes, then cool and taste the water...You might not notice it much in the beer, but it's there.

Silicone hoses last a very long time, too. Vinyl is harder to clean, though cheaper.

Problem with silicone hoses is they will split under pressure, so no valve on the output! Vinyl is a little better under pressure. It's really the only pro, and who would need to put a transfer those under pressure?

Back