1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two burner Coleman ones..... if you get the right kettle you can use both burners at once

I've got a ten gallon tank( rv tank) and it has lasted me about six months so far at about a batch every week or two some of which were 3 & 5 gallon batches feels like its still half full

I got so irritated with my stove I almost contemplated using the propane barbecue.
I think my next brew will be on the camping burner. Thanks for the tip!

Jbird said:
Yes slice then freeze and thaw. It all depends in how much you want the taste to come out. A pound would work nicely. If is not what you want add another half pound next time. When adding fruit it's all up to you.
I'm doing a pale ale and dry hopping with1.4 lbs of strawberries. Should be nice. First time so I will play with it.

D you freeze and thaw to get rid of the "nasties" instead of cooking the fruit?

Ostomo517 said:
I usually boil the fruit for one minute then puree in the blender and add to primary so when goes to secondary you can get rid of a lot of the pulp and a clearer final product. Like bwlow examples, my Bloody Beer using tomatoes, Key Lime Pie using key limes and my Pineapple IPA

So when do you add the fruit in primary? Do you add after fermentation has already essentially ended, or do you add iit right when racking to primary?

D you freeze and thaw to get rid of the "nasties" instead of cooking the fruit?
Home freezers don't freeze very quickly. So you get lots of ice crystals that are large enough to poke holes in the cells. That way you get much more liquid, and flavor, out of the same amount of fruit.

Steaming fruit that tends to oxidize, like apples, will keep them from discoloring. It also cuts down on the surface bugs.

That process produces an entirely different set of flavor compounds then cooking the fruit.

You would generally add fruit processed like this after fermentation had stopped. A vigorous fermentation destroys a large portion of the flavor you are trying to preserve with the above method.

While looking for supplies in town today, I was told by someone that it would be nearly impossible to brew a 1-gal batch of beer or wine. He also told me I would need to go to Bangor to get the supplies I'd need because the local health food store would have all I needed. Alas, I found the S-airlock I was specifically informed would not be there. What an interesting day.

Honestly don't understand why any one would say you can't brew 1 gallon batches unless they want you to buy 5 gallon equipment. I started with a Brooklyn brew shop kit,and have since then bought 3 more 1 gallon jugs and airlock, along with nylon tubing from hardware stores for blow off tubes,and some large pots at Big Lots for sparging and so on. I'm on my 7th gallon batch so far with great success ;).

Bless me brothers for I have sinned. I thought to keep my shame within my own walls, but I find I cannot bare the burden of it any longer. I have not brewed a 1 gallon batch in more then two months. In that time, I have compounded my sin by brewing two 4.5 gallon batches and a 2 gallon batch. Please forgive me my brothers for I have erred.

A few weeks ago I brewed a one gallon hefeweizen that I decided to add cherries too in a secondary. On Sunday I transferred the Hefe from its bucket to a one gallon jug over the cherries!

I used a small can of Oregon dark sweet cherries. Not knowing really what I was doing....I have never used a fruit yet...I poured the whole can syrup and all into the jug. It turned the beer beet red...not a big deal..however today I discovered that the beer was actively fermenting again. Im worried this is going to negatively affect the beer somehow.

So, did I mess this up?

image-3755728522.jpg

image-153058147.jpg

No, the sugar in the cherries have activated the yeast again. It will ferment out, lowering your FG and thin the beer a bit. No worries though.

A few weeks ago I brewed a one gallon hefeweizen that I decided to add cherries too in a secondary. On Sunday I transferred the Hefe from its bucket to a one gallon jug over the cherries!

I used a small can of Oregon dark sweet cherries. Not knowing really what I was doing....I have never used a fruit yet...I poured the whole can syrup and all into the jug. It turned the beer beet red...not a big deal..however today I discovered that the beer was actively fermenting again. Im worried this is going to negatively affect the beer somehow.

So, did I mess this up?

Leadgolem said:
Home freezers don't freeze very quickly. So you get lots of ice crystals that are large enough to poke holes in the cells. That way you get much more liquid, and flavor, out of the same amount of fruit.

Steaming fruit that tends to oxidize, like apples, will keep them from discoloring. It also cuts down on the surface bugs.

That process produces an entirely different set of flavor compounds then cooking the fruit.

You would generally add fruit processed like this after fermentation had stopped. A vigorous fermentation destroys a large portion of the flavor you are trying to preserve with the above method.

So do you steam first and then freeze or the other way around? Also, if freeze and then steam, what do you find the best way to steam?

Calichusetts said:
No, the sugar in the cherries have activated the yeast again. It will ferment out, lowering your FG and thin the beer a bit. No worries though.

Thanks!

Honestly don't understand why any one would say you can't brew 1 gallon batches unless they want you to buy 5 gallon equipment. I started with a Brooklyn brew shop kit,and have since then bought 3 more 1 gallon jugs and airlock, along with nylon tubing from hardware stores for blow off tubes,and some large pots at Big Lots for sparging and so on. I'm on my 7th gallon batch so far with great success ;).

The guy I was talking to wasn't even at a supply store, he works at a Beverage warehouse that I thought might have brewing supplies. No carboys there at all, so he wasn't trying to sell to me. Maybe I should document a 1-gal batch start to finish, and give him a printed copy lol.

The guy I was talking to wasn't even at a supply store, he works at a Beverage warehouse that I thought might have brewing supplies. No carboys there at all, so he wasn't trying to sell to me. Maybe I should document a 1-gal batch start to finish, and give him a printed copy lol.

Give him the link to, or better yet, the book from Brooklyn brew shop lol

So do you steam first and then freeze or the other way around? Also, if freeze and then steam, what do you find the best way to steam?
Yes, you steam first. I wash the fruit, then quarter, core, de-stem, and cut out any bad spots. Large apples I cut into 8th's. Then they go in a slow cooker with some water in the bottom. The slow cooker is on just high enough to produce a slow stream of steam. Once all the apples are done, I give them all about 20 minutes in the slow cooker. Then I bag them all in freezer bags and freeze.

I like to add them frozen to the fermentor after about 2 weeks in primary. You can wait until they thaw out, but you will leave some juice in the freezer bag. I move the brew to secondary, and add the fruit at the same time. This is when you would want to add pectin enzyme if you are planning on using it. Then after another 2 weeks or so I fish the fruit out with my spider. You can add a finning agent at this point if you want to. You will have some solids in the brew.

I really prefer to do this in a fermenting bucket, it leaves a lot of garbage in the fermentor and it can be hard to clean out of a carboy. If you are using something like cherries, or anything you aren't going to cut up before adding, it's a good idea to squeeze the fruit after you remove it. Then add the liquid back to the fermentor. That doesn't work with things like apples or pears though, they just turn to mush if you squeeze them after freezing.
This.

But aren't you losing a lot of the flavor by doing so?
This too. Though with that much fruit I doubt it will be any real problem.
That would be hilarious. If you decide to do that, make sure you take video. :fro:

musicalwillard said:
While looking for supplies in town today, I was told by someone that it would be nearly impossible to brew a 1-gal batch of beer or wine. He also told me I would need to go to Bangor to get the supplies I'd need.

That's weird because I've ONLY ever brewed 1 gal batches of beer for a total of 19 so far. The Bangor part might be true, I can't really say.

I found a recipe I want to try on beer tools. It's a vanilla licorice amber ale. Here's the scaled recipe

0.25 lbs Crystal 60; Great Western
0.08 lbs Golden Naked Oats
1 lbs CBW® Pilsen Light Liquid (Malt Extract); Briess
0.25 lbs Light Brown Sugar
0.33 oz Willamette - 5.0 AA% pellets; boiled 60 min 0.08 oz
Mt. Hood - 5.0 AA% pellets; boiled 15 min 0.08 oz
Mt. Hood - 5.0 AA% pellets; boiled 1 min
0.33 oz Vanilla (whole bean)- + 1 cinnamon stick(omitted from calculations) 1.33 oz Licorice (root)- Licorice Slices(omitted from calculations

My question is, I forgot to get golden oats, but I got red wheat for another recipe. Could I sub that? Also I have some carapills, that helps in head retention right? Could some be added?

Has anyone in here made a 1 gallon wine? Figured it can't use too much different of equipment.
Sure, the equipment is pretty much the same. Though it's best to use a glass carboy or a dedicated fermentation bucket so you don't cross your flavors. Plastic will hold on to both hops and wine or cider flavor.
It would just depend if your wiling to tie up a fermenter for that long
I bottle once the wine hit's FG. Then let the aging happen in the bottle. It's not as nice as bulk aging, but it still works very well.

so I now have 5 1 gallon glass jugs.... and I cant decide on what to brew!!!

#firstworldproblems.

I currently have a ESB and cream ale going.
I have a lot of Caramel - 60L, Honey Malt and Roasted Barley left over. Any one have some suggestions I should try?

sumone said:

#firstworldproblems.

I have a lot of Caramel - 60L, Honey Malt and Roasted Barley left over. Any one have some suggestions I should try?

You need some malt like 2 row, Munich, Maris etc.... But you could add any of those to some base malt. You have a local LHBS or you have to mail order?

divrguy said:
Also good to have base malt around so you can brew a any time on a whim.. As long as you have something else to compliment it like hops...lol

I decided to move to all grain this week. I purchased some kits from Brooklyn Brew Shop after having a nice email convo with them. They even threw in an extra kit! Really nice people!

Here goes nothing! Any all grain tips?

#firstworldproblems.

Shouldn't this be, is there something you shouldn't try? :ban:

Honestly, I'm a big fan of cider but you would need some apple juice.

Sure, the equipment is pretty much the same. Though it's best to use a glass carboy or a dedicated fermentation bucket so you don't cross your flavors. Plastic will hold on to both hops and wine or cider flavor.

I bottle once the wine hit's FG. Then let the aging happen in the bottle. It's not as nice as bulk aging, but it still works very well.

I have 3 glass jugs and a 2 gallon plastic bucket. So I am fine using one of my spares. I want to make a blueberry wine, but don't want to do too big of volume

I have 3 glass jugs and a 2 gallon plastic bucket. So I am fine using one of my spares. I want to make a blueberry wine, but don't want to do too big of volume
Yeah, blueberry wine gets expensive fast. I would suggest getting some RW Knudsen "Just Blueberry" juice. It makes a great base for a blueberry wine.

Yeah, blueberry wine gets expensive fast. I would suggest getting some RW Knudsen "Just Blueberry" juice. It makes a great base for a blueberry wine.

I'm gonna go crazy and just make it from fresh squashed blueberries. In the height of Jersey Blueberry season blueberries get really cheap (like under a buck a pound) and I figure I might as well take advantage of it. Probably just need a little water and maybe a touch of sugar to dry it out a little.

First batch with a 2 Gallon Mash Tun - what an improvement!

I have been using a strainer with the Brooklyn Brew Shop recipe kits. My latest brew, I used the Mash Tun instead and the beer is fantastic! So glad I upgraded, plus now I can make 2 batches at once.

Back