Scalded extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschupner

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch couple days ago, an American Amber Ale. After steeping my grains I got the pot up to a boil. Then I poured in my extract. Was having issues getting all the extract out, so wasn't stirring the pot as it was going in. Well come to find out that it had scalded on the bottom of the pot. I stirred the best I could afterwards, but noticed black flakes coming up, guessing the burnt extract. When the boil was finished and transferred into primary, I used a strainer so the burnt material wouldn't go into primary. Is the burnt extract going to ruin my beer??

Did you take the pot off the heat? I don't think it ruined your beer you will still get beer in the end but its probably going to have a burnt taste to it. When it is done fermenting take a taste if the is a burnt taste you could try racking on to coffee or something to over power the burnt taste

No I didn't remove from the heat. First brew..so gonna chalk this up to learning experience. What do you mean by rack it onto coffee? Put coffee grounds into the secondary?

I haven't done it but I believe you rack it on fresh coffee grounds it will give the beer a coffee flavor there are plenty of people who add coffee a quick search will give you plenty of ways to do it. Yeah brewing is a learning experience no matter how many times you brew. Just remember for next time turn off the flame or move it off the burner before you add the extract and make sure you scrap the bottom of the pot and stir it real well before turning on the heat

Wow...there are a lot of conflicting ideas about adding coffee. Some say just add the grounds, some say add whole beans, others say to cold brew. The one thing that everyone seemed to agree on was definitely do not hot brew the coffee. Also, some say to add at secondary and others say add when you bottle. Other thing that no one can seem to agree on is the amount to add. I am leaning towards the cold brewing method so I guess I'll just have to pull some after primary is done and slowly add to one glass to get the taste I want. Then do some math to figure out how much to add to the entire batch.

You might have a delightfully caramelly beer on your hands. One of the best beers I've ever had in my life, the beer that got me into brewing, was a buddy's homebrew Tripel where he'd scorched the extract. It obviously completely ruined the beer as far as the style was concerned (it became undiscernible as a tripel), but who cares unless you're entering it in a contest? It was a seriously fantastic caramelly, toffee-y brew.

Only add coffee if you really want a coffee beer; don't count this one out until you taste it at racking or bottling.

Before you add anything, taste the fermented beer. It may be fine. Adding coffee can be done after fermentation if you want to mask a burnt flavor.

I made a beer where I forgot to turn off the heat while adding the LME. Got a small amount of scalded LME on the bottom of the brew pot. I thought it would ruin the taste of the beer, but I continued brewing in hopes it would be okay. Well, when all was done it turned out fine. I could not taste any flavors that were the least unpleasant. Glad I didn't toss it.

NRS

ferment it , bottle it, age it.

Don't try to fix a problem that may not be there at all.
See how it ends, adjust your process on the next batch, there is always a next batch.

Back