Mentorship Program - Interest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
olllllo mod EDIT: I broke off posts that revolved around how the site can support mentoring features and layered access.. here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=48769

Use this thread to discuss interest and how it might happen given the current forum structure.

MODS: if this would better fit in site suggestions, feel free to move.

One of the things I've noticed about the people on HBT is the willingness to go the extra mile to help a fellow brewer out.

Here's another chance. Being new to brewing (less than 55 gallons produced) and really new to all grain (one batch) I could pepper you all with redundant questions, or I could read all of the threads over and over then throw caution to the wind and learn first hand all of the mistakes that could be made all on my own. There is definitely something to be said for going through the growing pains of being a brewer. It gives you a respect for the process, and we could all do that.

OR... I could float this idea past you all and see where it takes us. For some of you with the ability to teach, you have loaded up your vehicle and driven down the road to watch a new brewer and help them along with the process. Some may need a full day commitment and others may need a simple pre-brew review and a check of their equipment. The long story short is you may have the ability to save a noob from quitting and maybe even developing a future world class brewer. Not to mention the chance to add to your list of friends.

I'm in a position to brew my second all grain batch. Armed with the knowledge of my first batch's mistakes, I might be able to brew something drinkable. I would however be interested in inviting a more experienced brewer over to observe and comment (not to mention drink my beer)

I was thinking who out there would be willing to go on a geographical list of "brewmentors" willing to make an "in person" visit on brew day? As new brewers asked for assistance, a phone conversation and a possible visit (if the brewmentor deems necessary & has the time) can be made.

Some times hands on "show me" learning works better.

What do you think / have to add to the idea?

There's definately merit to the idea. It's something that has happened in an informal manner. I helped Evanmars with his first AG batch, just like Glibbidy helped me and Chillhayze and a bunch of others at the first Yankee Ingenuity get-together. It's a matter of finding people who are local, which is why it's so important, I think, for everyone to fill out their geographic location and have it displayed.

Local Homebrew clubs also help out. It's how I learned as I sought out an All Grain Mentor that way.

I can't agree more. I have had a number of brewers over to my place to split a batch and go through the process, and would be more than willing to go out and assist others. I can't say I'm a super expert, but I make good beers (and bad ones) and know the process well.

Although having too many forums is a PIA, I may have suggested once before (and would still like to see) some localized forums for areas that seem to have a good selection of brewers. I know that Maryland has a large number of brewers and could benefit from a MD/DC/NOVA regional forum to discuss local gatherings and meetups. Yes, I know we have a forum for that, and yes, the forum isn't used so much that posts get moved around to 2nd and 3rd pages. I know my idea lacks merit.

Another thing I propose (maybe different from this) is the idea of local 'subclubs' of HBT. I know there are a thousand local clubs that many of us belong to, but it would be nice to be part of HBT - Maryland which has a regular meetup to brew and swap without the hassle of the forum brew swaps. This would give newbies a chance to come out to a meeting/session and learn and find a local mentor who would help them brew.

Maybe it could be combined in the introductions forums so that new members post introductions into their local regional forum which would give them better contact with regular members who monitor their areas.

EdWort said:
Local Homebrew clubs also help out. It's how I learned as I sought out an All Grain Mentor that way.

the problem here is that the brewclub that was here dissappeared 5-10 years ago

i know of no other club locally:mad:

Let's go through the mechanics of it. The MODs may be a bit of help in this one.

If I was to compile of list of volunteers in geographical areas, and send that to TX, or one of the mods. (I'm seeing a member directory style list but by geo area) They could put that in as a page on the site where folks could just PM the individual to start the process. Leave the control up to the volunteer / mentor to take it to the next level.

Could / would this be something simply done if we had a list of names?

Seabee John said:
Let's go through the mechanics of it. The MODs may be a bit of help in this one.

If I was to compile of list of volunteers in geographical areas, and send that to TX, or one of the mods. (I'm seeing a member directory style list but by geo area) They could put that in as a page on the site where folks could just PM the individual to start the process. Leave the control up to the volunteer / mentor to take it to the next level.

Could / would this be something simply done if we had a list of names?

I really like the idea. Let's see if something practical will come out of the idea.

Unless one of the mods is willing to take this on (for ease of working with the site) I'll start compiling the list. In time, say by the end of January or when we hit 20 people, we'll send the list to TX for his review.

Any experienced all grain brewers willing to spend the time mentoring others in your area, please PM me with your specific location (State and City) and I'll add you to the list.

Thanks!

Sounds like a great idea. Hell, I might even volunteer to do the Southside of Atlanta.

This sounds like a great idea. I travel a lot for work and could potentially help people out in the evenings when I am on the road.

I agree 100% that this should be for supporting members only. Should we limit to only AG help, or open it up to other things, like PM or equipment set-up?

eriktlupus said:
the problem here is that the brewclub that was here dissappeared 5-10 years ago

i know of no other club locally:mad:

Well, if you are ever in Austin, drop me a line & we'll brew a batch!

I would think the level of help is only restricted by the person offering it.

Does Yooper give private lessons? ;) :D

GaryA said:
I would think the level of help is only restricted by the person offering it.

Does Yooper give private lessons? ;) :D

Of course, I give private lessons!!! For the right people, I'll even wear my Yooper Unionsuit. Just pay the airfare, and I'm on my way!

I like the idea of all brewing help- not just AG. I mean if someone wants to go from no-boil John Bull to extract and steeping grains, a helping hand is definitely a plus! I sure could have used a pro here last night with my first time kegging. Leaking regulator, beer shooting up to the ceiling through the "Out" post, etc.
:off: Who knew beer under pressure could shoot so far!

I'm in the Northern Detroit area and would be glad to help somebody with Extract or Partial Mash or even talk them through a brew with beersmith.

Since I am currently un-employed. I have lots of free time!!!

Linc

I'd be up for mentoring in my neck of the woods. I think this is a good idea for passing on info and teaching.

GaryA said:
Guess I was thinking these would be a little more intimate, figuring that getting more then 3-4 peoples schedules to mesh is damn near impossible these days. Not to mention space to host more people then that.

I didn't see this being as large as beer exchanges or near as complicated.

That is why I suggested just putting something by the username that indicates you are willing to mentor, then putting in your signature what you are able to mentor. If you mentor and have your location listed that pretty much covers the region issue. If you have a brew day coming up and you are willing to mentor that day you could list you list it on the calendar and first come first serve limited to 'X' number of people. *shrug* didn't see it being a logistic nightmare.

Dunno. My brew schedule is erratic. Sometimes I brew weekly, other times I break off for 2-3 weeks between beers. It's a hassle to update the calendar.

What I propose is just a sticky thread in a regional area that says. "I am jezter6. I am willing to get together and help out in Northeast Maryland/Southeast PA. My level of experience is upper side of intermediate. I am able to mentor all grain brewing, extract brewing, AG equipment DIY. I am available almost every other weekend.

Then, a user in the region can PM me and ask for help on a 1-1 basis. Or they can watch out for a "Brew out Dec 2007" style thread and request to be invited. If someone PM's me and says they live 20 miles away and would like to watch an AG brew session, I would chat it up a little to make sure they aren't insane, and possibly invite them over to split a batch. I've done it with people on the forum before with success (shoutz out to 98EXL!).

I think you're over complicating it with trying to manage schedules and the like. That's up to people that get linked up to say "Hey, I'm available next weekend, but not Jan 4th weekend." If someone wants help, it should be up to them to pop in and say "I need a mentor near Wilmington, DE" at which point any of the mentors nearby might look in and see if it's close enough and then respond to the request. It's up to the requestor to ask for help, not the mentor to post his 'available office hours' and hope someone shows up to be mentored.

I'm in Baltimore and would love to observe an AG brew in practice. I feel after a couple batches I've figured out extract brewing and would like a new challenge.

What area of the city are you in? I've given up AG until the weather breaks for the winter as I've got a stash of 25+ gallons, but I know things are happening around the area. Check out the gatherings section for the MD Big Brew Day down at 98EXL's place as well. A bunch of us will be doing AG down there if we can get it set up.

If you've got the AG system already and just need help doing a batch, we can help with that too.

I don't have anything for AG yet. I think I have an idea of what goes on but I'd like to see it in person first.

I live about 2 blocks from Camden Yards off Washington Blvd.

Sounds good. I know it would have helped me figure it out to have someone (and I was asking around ,but got no takers) to show me. Eventually, I read a thread and asked some basic questions and it's nowhere near as difficult as people make it out to be. Once I stepped my feet in, that was all she wrote.

Keep an eye out for some local brew outs and the results of this thread and I'm sure we can get you into an AG session in the next few months with someone in the area. Aside from Big Brew Day, whenever it happens, I'm going extract 2.5 gallon batches for the winter so I can experiment and brew indoors. :p

I'm in La Plata and brew almost every Saturday (every other once I get my stash built up) you are welcome to come down any time.

Awesome I may have to take you up on that offer (granted La Plata is a bit of a hike from Baltimore)

Conversely, once the O's start playing again, would there be any interest in going as a group? I'm easily walking distance from Camden Yards. Perhaps do an exchange before?

I am sure we will get together many times in Maryland come new year. I have lots of plans, hopefully things will pan out.

And if all goes well, possibly having a Homewbrew Fest in '09 :)

Just now reading this thread! Seabee, you have a great Idea here! I (Noob) am getting ready to go all grain and would find it very helpful if there was a mentor in my geo graphical area!

Flipper said:
Just now reading this thread! Seabee, you have a great Idea here! I (Noob) am getting ready to go all grain and would find it very helpful if there was a mentor in my geo graphical area!

Thanks Flipper, I'm brewing my second AG brew on sunday (THAT'S THIS SUNDAY the 30th of DEC 2007 around 10 AM... just off I94 and Ruth in ST. PAUL, MINNESOTA [PM for address] in case anyone is listening) and it sure would be nice if I had a more experienced all grain brewer there to watch, comment and drink my Commercial (...if my homebrew isn't good enough yet) brew. But, you know... all the EAC's out there... it may be tough to find one willing to help....

Anyway thanks for the compliment Flipper. You make a guy like me have hope....

P.S. I'm not whining..just having a little fun! :D

paulthenurse said:
Hang in there Bro. Every old brewer ain't a EAC. Some of us are just old drunks. Too bad you are so far away. I'd drop by otherwise.
PTN

I would never imply... I was just having a bit of fun. If you read the whole thread I started off talking about how folks here tend to go the extra mile. That's what makes this place great. I'm fully capable of pulling off my 2nd AG brew. It'll probably taste like it's someone's 2nd, but I'll get it done. I have confidence. It's part of brewing to learn your way. But it would be cool to have someone there. Others have done it, still more will in the future.

Geez I think maybe I should sign up for this all grain mentoring too. Sign me up to teech.

I only got through half of the posts.....need to leave the Ale House and go pickup SWMBO from tennis

Anyway, I'm always down for teaching (what little I know) and helping out others. Jetzer6 made it very visible that AG was not difficult for me, so I switched.

I'd love to help out, paying members or not

I just caught this thread. If there's anyone in the Houston area (or who is willing to come down here), just give me a shout. If I'm not brewing, I know a gazillion guys that might be brewing around here at any moment.

If you give me a week's notice, I can probably set you up with someone. With a couple weeks' notice, I'll probably brew, myself.

Worst case, the Foam Rangers have a "brew-in" in front of DeFalco's on the second Saturday of every month (check the schedule or with me, just in case), starting at around 10am, and that's always all grain.

TL

TheJadedDog said:
This sounds like a great idea. I travel a lot for work and could potentially help people out in the evenings when I am on the road.

I agree 100% that this should be for supporting members only. Should we limit to only AG help, or open it up to other things, like PM or equipment set-up?
I'm on the road a lot also and could do the same thing.

I think it should be opened for ANYTHING brewing related assistance...;)

There are so many aspects of brewing that people could use the help. The main Idea here was to avoid a trip to figure out "if I killed my yeast" or not. There are many ways one could help out. Your experience and knowledge is the key. You all know when to let someone know where they can find the information. Hell even I am an EAC in training. It's your ability to pick up a phone and call and say "ok, tell me exactly what you did" then you can determine weather or not a trip is in order.

Maybe it's just an invite to a new guy for a brewday.

Or in my case. I've been brewing AG, I've read, I've done, and I've made mistakes. My temps were way off on my 1st mash and ended up tossing my beer for the 1st time. I just kegged my second and third batches and everything seems to be fine. But I would love it if someone was there to watch and comment. Confidence has much more to do with making it to the next level than my choice in grains or hops.

We can inspire confidence.

Uhhh, If you're in Hawaii let me know, cause I could use a few pointers.

I can mentor for both extract and all grain. Right now I'm in northcentral Wisconsin, but I may be in central North Dakota in a month. Depending on my location, I'd be happy to mentor for either area. In particular, I'd like to help any North Dakotans just because it seems like home brewing could use a good boost over there. :mug:

Are any HBT members from ND or WI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back