Christmas was good to me-2 New Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skawars1

Reaction score
I'm not sure what I did to deserve two pumps but both my in laws and my parents were on the same page. 2 brad new ss inline chuggers were under the tree.

My brewing setup comprises of an old die lift that I put my mash tun on to raise and lower for gravity draining. Two burners are set on a modified heavy steel shop cart and a plate chiller.

Since I normally batch sparge I cant think of a reason to keep both of them.

Anyone out there have any ideas or reasons why I should keep them both?

I'm toying with the thought of returning one and getting a hoprocket or one of the jaybird false bottoms.

B

IMAG0259.jpg

If you use gravity for HLT I see no reason for two pumps. Unless you change your stand to single tier layer in life. Keep one for a spare.

I use gravity for the HLT. One pump for mash tun recirc and pump to boil kettle. Another for the boil kettle to run it through the hop rocket and plate chiller and then to the carboy.

I use gravity for the HLT. One pump for mash tun recirc and pump to boil kettle. Another for the boil kettle to run it through the hop rocket and plate chiller and then to the carboy.

Couldn't you use one pump for that? They are not running at the same time.

Couldn't you use one pump for that? They are not running at the same time.

Comes down to sterilization. Which is why I like separate pumps. I could recirc some hot wort after boil through the pump/kettle to sterilize it and then reroute it through the hop rocket and plate chiller then to the carboy. But then after the recirc through the mash tun and pump to the boil kettle, well that's a lot of hooking up and disconnecting with a bunch of lines. Even with an army of quick disconnects.
I'd just rather have two pumps.

Comes down to sterilization. Which is why I like separate pumps. I could recirc some hot wort after boil through the pump/kettle to sterilize it and then reroute it through the hop rocket and plate chiller then to the carboy. But then after the recirc through the mash tun and pump to the boil kettle, well that's a lot of hooking up and disconnecting with a bunch of lines. Even with an army of quick disconnects.
I'd just rather have two pumps.

Hmmm. I get it now. For now I can't see a reason to keep it. Leaning twords returning one and getting a hop rocket.

Thanks for the responses.

Back