Rookie questions on kegerators / fermentation chambers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diannotti

Reaction score
Hoping for some wisdom as I try and figure out what I want to do with my brewing. I have a nice fermentation chamber I built but realistically I am not getting below 60 degrees in it. So as I look to the future I know some things for certain:

1) I want to keg - I would like 3 taps ideally
2) I want to be able to brew black lagers

So I have spent hours looking at the radical keezer designs ( very cool), the converted fridges, the pre made kegerators etc.

Keezers -
Pros: economical and scale-able / flexible as I could initially just get a chest freezer and use a picnic tap. Later build a collar etc
Cons: These really aren't designed to be above freezing - rust? other issues, the work involved in modding. Longevity? Initially would have to live in garage.

Question:
Can I use a keezer as a kegerator and as a fermenter / lagering?

Pre Made kegerators:
Pros: pre made and for a specific use
Cons: cost

Question: I f I buy for example a one tap danby on craigslist can I just change out the tower to a two tap / three tap? In general how modifiable are kegerators?

Is it best to have a separate kegerator for dispensing and a seperate maybe mini fridge to ferment in?

Sorry for so many questions really trying to analyze options and certainly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Keezer temps can be controlled by a temperature controller. I bought mine off morebeer.com its one that can operate the freezer to cool and can operate a heating element within the freezer to heat. My freezer is used as a fermentation chamber though not a kegerator. My kegerator Is an old school fridgerator with two taps. I found both these off of the android craigslist app. It alerts you whenever something youre looking for is posted. I bought my 20 cubic foot freezer for 70 and kegerator for 150 both weren't pretty but after a sanding, painting and steel wool to the rust both came out great.

267698_1848605856312_1275666645_1644498_2152437_n.jpg

ForumRunner_20110921_192424.jpg

ForumRunner_20110921_192443.jpg

Does anyone else do things differently that's willing to share some advice? Anyone ferment in the same "device" as they kegerate from?

Can anyone offer advice on how modifiable pre-made kegerators are? As in if I buy a used kegerator tap model can I replace the tower usually with two tap tower?

Back