Hop Processing at Rising Sun Farms Paonia Co

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool video - thanks for posting it!

Question: is the "conditioning" shown at the end of the video something that happens before the drying or after?

Cheers!

conditioning happens after drying. We let them set after drying so the moisture between the strigs which hold more moisture rehydrate the bracks which we have to overdry

What I'd like to see is how you get the bines out of the field and into the magic picker thing. Is it all done by hand?

Glen, what's the target temp for your airflow into the oast and roughly how long does it take from start-to-finish for a given basket?

Loved the video, very cool! I guess since I bought my rhizomes from you, those are like the long lost relatives to my hops. I can see the resemblance!

OK, not really.:cross:

Thanks for sharing your process. Cool Video. Do you bag them? pelletize them or what?

Actually, that's their old picker, I believe they now have a wolf picker, it has counter rotating picker reels on the top (7 I believe) that have triangular wire picking fingers that strip the cones (and some leaves) off the bines as it pulls the bines through. There is then a series of conveyors and blowers and sweeps that sort out the leaves and a conveyor at the bottom that brings out the cones, it's a very awesome and compact machine. It's a wondrous and masterfull design for such a complicated process all in a footprint of about 9' x 20'. If you ever have the opportunity to see one, take it, even better if it's running.:mug:

Latest posts

Back