I forgot the lid to the airlock!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleephla

Reaction score
So I just purchased my first beginner's beer kit and I'm using the plastic 7.8 gallon plastic fermenting jug. I did everything right (or so I assumed) and just realized 2 hours later that I forgot to put the actual lid on the airlock cap. Am I totally ****ed with this, or should I be okay? I am looking forward to brewing some good stuff, but what a horrible start.

Thanks!

As long as you didn't forget the water/sanitizer/vodka/whatever in your lock, then forgetting to put the lid on for a couple hours will be no big deal at all. You're fine.

Nice, thanks for reassurance. I'll report back once I bottle and drink in a few weeks.

My bubblers all have holes in them. Not sure what the lid is even for other than keeping bugs out. Doesn't always even do that very well.

The lid keeps the float piece from being pushed out of the main body by the rising pressure in the fermentor. It is needed to keep a water gap between the air outside and the atmosphere inside the fermentor.

That being said, just put the cap on and you'll be fine. And don't worry too much. For my first batch I managed to shove that little rubber grommet INTO the fermentor. Boy did I worry about an infection but my beer turned out great! Turns out this a lot harder to screw up than you'd think. Happy brewing!

^ this.

Without the lid, the float piece will push up too far and you won't have any separation between outside air and air inside the fermenter. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just pop it on and remember it next time (I'm sure you will.)

I bet your beer will be fine.

If you're really worried about it floating too high just throw a piece of tape on top to keep it semi-suspended

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Even though I've read it a million times before, I realize it's my first batch so I'll roll with it and remember the important things going forward. Thanks again!

Back